Wiring questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tikicult

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend, my dad and I are going to be installing a bunch of lights on the truck. I have a few questions about the process. (We already know how to connect the passthrough wires, no issues there)

1. We are installing 4 HID bumper lights, 2 pairs of duallys and 2 HID hood lights. They all came with wiring harnesses and built in fuses. Do we need any of this?

2. For multiple lights on one upfitter switch, do we connect all the hot leads to the hot passthrough, then ground all the lights? Picture example: R8U0mnu.png

3. What gauge wire is recommended for connecting this stuff?

4. What connectors and water proofing method is recommended?

Thanks guys!

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You just have to watch how much load you put on each up fitter and make sure that you use the appropriate ones as they are different

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
KNow what your doing or ask someone. Like go to a forum ask for help...lol... Amps X Volts = Watts... Find out any two of these and you can comeup with the third. If your lights are 1000 watts and your truck is 12 volts then your amps are 1000 divided by 12 = 83.33 amps .. You can workout which upfitter based on the calculations.. post your lights here and I will tell you the amps...

OP
OP
tikicult

tikicult

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already done the calculations and I know which lights are going on which switches. Just need to verify the actual hookup and wiring.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I'm assuming your running the HID's to the 1 switch and the duallys to the 2 switch? I ran my 4 duallys I have on the rear to the number 3 switch. All I did was run all 4 wires in te right side of the cab then spliced them all together with a soldering gun and put heat shrink tubing on then after wrapping some electrical tape around each individual wire the ran the whole wire harness in conduit tubing (plastic wire tubing) for protection! Then ran a single wire to the pass trough wire for the 3 switch

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This weekend, my dad and I are going to be installing a bunch of lights on the truck. I have a few questions about the process. (We already know how to connect the passthrough wires, no issues there)

1. We are installing 4 HID bumper lights, 2 pairs of duallys and 2 HID hood lights. They all came with wiring harnesses and built in fuses. Do we need any of this?

2. For multiple lights on one upfitter switch, do we connect all the hot leads to the hot passthrough, then ground all the lights? Picture example: R8U0mnu.png

3. What gauge wire is recommended for connecting this stuff?

4. What connectors and water proofing method is recommended?

Thanks guys!
So I will just answer the questions asked

1 Do you want all the lights on one switch or multiple. You only need the lights out of the kits and do not need anything else from the kits

2. All the lights you want to work on one upfitter will tie to the wire that comes through the firewall. Dont forget to make the connection behind the glove box.

3. Wire will depend on the AMPS x VOLTS - Watts .. Amps is also refered to as current draw. The greater the current draw the bigger the wire has to be.

4. You can twist and tape not the best idea but works. Solder and shrink tube is most durable. Solder and tape but its not water proof. Solder and liquid tape also water proof but requires time to allow the liquid tape to dry.
Crimp connectors leak and fall off...

Anything else?