Wiring/Amps Tech Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to run 2 BD S8 10” lights off the Gen 3 Aux 1 switch (previously the inner fog.)

Aux 1 is 10 amp rated
BD rates each S8 10” at 4.2 amp
*I will not be using the backlight feature*

Obviously 4.2 x 2 = 8.4 amps, which is below the 10 amp rating for Aux 1, but it’s close.

Good idea or bad idea?

@Nex @smurfslayer @The Car Stereo Company @Baja Designs
@4x4TruckLEDs.com

Last edited:

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We always recommend relaying every single light connected to any AUX switch. However the general rule of thumb is staying below 80% of the max amp rating which you'd be right above. Will it work? Yes. But any surge of amperage will likely blow the fuse.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The answer is:

It depends.

You’re close and you have 2 variables here.
The truck voltage at KOEO / while the truck is running
the voltage B/D calculates the current draw at.
( I know, this is a very simplistic example )
Why?

because when voltage drops, current draw can go up.

so using an ohm’s law calculator - extreme examples, if I have 12v 8.5a I have 102w of power. at 14.4v, 8.5a we have 122.4
I’m not even bringing up resistance and voltage drop here.

before it gets out of hand - and I already need to top off my pint, you’re close enough that a relay is inexpensive insurance for the up fitter circuit.

Wire in a relay. I don’t know if I’d go as far as a relay for every up fitter, but if it’s close, it’s worth it to have the added precaution.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as stated, use relays. im even more cautious as to use relays at 75% the amperage rating. also, the guage of wire is just as important. minimum of 16ga wire and 12 to 14 for longer runs. you lose power through heat and too small of wire will generate too much heat. feel free to text me and i can give you a complete layout and explain how it works and answer any questions you have (831) 254-7562

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or just get a switch pro and have them all come on with 1 button.
I might have to. I’m learning the upfitters aren’t as great as they seem since Ford gave each switch enough amps to run a pencil sharpener