Wilwood Aero 6 Brake Kit at Hammer Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been going over these BBK options and Im a bit confused as to what actually makes them perform better. The rotor weight and diameter is close if not the same as stock. The master cylinder produces the same amount of hydraulic pressure. Is the added performance purely from a larger pad area? Is the pad compound considerably more aggressive than stock? I assume the fluid remains stock as well. I guess my question is, how much of the added performance is the larger pad and how much is a more aggressive compound? The difference between fixed and floating calipers can make a difference, but Ive had floating that stopped on a dime and fixed that weren't all that great in other vehicles.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, floating calipers suck ass. You have 1 or 2 pistons on only one side of the rotor... sloppy af vs 6 pistons evenly clamping on both sides of the rotors. That is pretty much what makes all the difference.

Squatcho82

Reaction score
For those who purchased these, what was your results? Are you happy with them?

Ive ran the radial mounted version of this caliper with the two piece 14.25" rotors on a corvette in the past and they were great, but this is a much heavier vehicle with smaller rotors.

Reviews?

Please shoot me some pricing if you are still monitoring this thread.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive been going over these BBK options and Im a bit confused as to what actually makes them perform better. The rotor weight and diameter is close if not the same as stock. The master cylinder produces the same amount of hydraulic pressure. Is the added performance purely from a larger pad area? Is the pad compound considerably more aggressive than stock? I assume the fluid remains stock as well. I guess my question is, how much of the added performance is the larger pad and how much is a more aggressive compound? The difference between fixed and floating calipers can make a difference, but Ive had floating that stopped on a dime and fixed that weren't all that great in other vehicles.
pressure = force ÷ area.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kits currently back in stock ans ready to ship! Theyve been back ordered for 2 months and just got word today. Shoot me a message or email.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For those who purchased these, what was your results? Are you happy with them?

Ive ran the radial mounted version of this caliper with the two piece 14.25" rotors on a corvette in the past and they were great, but this is a much heavier vehicle with smaller rotors.

Reviews?

Please shoot me some pricing if you are still monitoring this thread.

I know im the vendor but still, im very happy. I offroad the truck, indo time trials/races in the truck, they survived baja, i have absolutely no complaints.

Coming from a shelby into my gen 2 i had lots of issues with brakes. Did alcons on the gen 2. Gen 3 i immediately noticed back ok stock breaks they were slacking and I daily an Audi. Wilwood hinted the new brake kit and I provided lots of real world feedback and was allowed to test the kit.

Ive since matched it with R1 rear rotors and offroad performance pads and man what a difference!

Id be glad to help, ill shoot you a message

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know im the vendor but still, im very happy. I offroad the truck, indo time trials/races in the truck, they survived baja, i have absolutely no complaints.

Coming from a shelby into my gen 2 i had lots of issues with brakes. Did alcons on the gen 2. Gen 3 i immediately noticed back ok stock breaks they were slacking and I daily an Audi. Wilwood hinted the new brake kit and I provided lots of real world feedback and was allowed to test the kit.

Ive since matched it with R1 rear rotors and offroad performance pads and man what a difference!

Id be glad to help, ill shoot you a message
I can see how they can increase stopping power but how does the anti lock brakes work after adding these to the front only? Is the braking biased changed?

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I can see how they can increase stopping power but how does the anti lock brakes work after adding these to the front only? Is the braking biased changed?
I definitely nose down under hard brakes on dirt. I dont daily my truck so i dont necessarily test my ABS likits for fun but i notice I do skid a lot less and feel less brake skipping under hard braking

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was my Alcon thread that we touched on this subject but not sure. Proportioning has not been "set" on vehicles for a while. So front to rear proportioning will for the most part be sorted out real time. As for antilock. Again, something that is measured and cycled real time based on wheel speed etc, etc. I run full Alcon kit up front and only Alcon pads in rear (2020). It all works fantastically and you can't hardly find 100 yards of straight road in my area. Where, I often intentionally get into ABS in the wet. Nothing to report other than "better" in every way less dust/some noise at times.

I can concur you will see less abs activation as a whole. I literally induce it to confirm it still works. I don't **** around in ice and rarely have snow though.