Who's Familiar With PowerTanks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm reading a couple threads on here and they're talking about the PowerTank over a normal compressor...

My question is this:

Although I won't use it to top off my tires very often, does it have the ability to blow up inflatable pools (small whale kiddie pools) without a problem?

I currently have a small ProForce Powermate 2 gal compressor that I use to fill up these pools and use for my nail gun etc.

0084621200210_P255045_500X500.jpg

(mines quite a bit older but you get the idea)

It takes more than 20 minutes to fill the pool because I'm out of air in about 30 - 45 seconds. Then I have to wait for the psi to build back up before continuing. Max PSI on this little thing is about 80...

I need more capacity but am not sure of spending the money to get a larger compressor plus I like the portability of the small one and that is why the PowerTank caught my attention.

Would a PowerTank service my needs better and QUICKER? Can it be controlled well enough as to not blow up the pool to quickly?

Thoughts?

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Power tank faster? Yes, very fast.

Power tank have more capacity than your 2 gallon compressor? By far, depending on the size you get!

Can it fill a pool safely? Sure, it has a regulator and you can set the discharge pressure

There's a tremendous amount of volume in one tank. I imagine you could fill a kiddy pool multiple times over, especially considering you're probably only putting what, 1-2 psi in the thing when it's inflated?

White608

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can run air tools off them out on the trail, could come in handy

You can air up 3-4 big tire vehicles and still have some left.

justthebest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What BlueSTI said - yes to all your questions. I have a smaller Powertank, and I mounted it in my bed (no problems after over a year hanging out back there in all the elements). I also have one of the larger (~3' tall, I think it's a 15lb-er?) tanks that I keep in my garage for topping off tires / running the occasional air tool, etc. You can buy a set up that will allow you to transfer gas between two tanks, but I don't use mine often enough to justify that. Either way, you can't go wrong with one.

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 15lb Power Tank that I got 4-5 years of hard use out of but for as little as I used it lately it wasn't worth keeping around when I got more 60% of it's value on the used market. I'd go with the 10lb if I had to do it again just due to sheer size of the tank, the 15lb is rather large and hard to stow away in a vehicle. It's a Luxfer 63CF tank.

I've tried ViaAir and my own homemade OnBoard Air and the Power Tank is definitely the way to go.

scubadds

Reaction score
I have one in my defender. It lies flat on a tire well, I made a "flip-up" stand so that it will sit vertical.. I can fill all 4 of my 35's with out even moving the tank (I haven't done that in a while, but that's how I remember using it)
Runs air tools nicely.

I was told you can convert to nitrogen to fill or adjust your bump stop pressure.