White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine has done it couple times. always after its been idling about an hour while waiting for somebody on a jobsite to let me into the job. truck will sit all day and when I start it and drive off its like I am a jet plane leaving chem trail.. had it in to the dealer and both times couldn't recreate. BS. "could be moisture". we all know moisture doesn't linger like that from an exhaust pipe. and it isn't blueish white. or smell. to lazy is my guess to let it idle long enough and then let sit for hours before driving it. one good thing is I have a video and its been in 2 times and covered up to 60k. still have 24k more to go to recreate it again and a better video for evidence.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
told my service rep. ill bring it in an hour before they open and let it idle for an hour and then come back to drive it into the service bay entrance at lunch time after its sat for 4 hours. he said. what the heck if you can recreate it we'll see it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed the white smoke as some of you have identified but only on cold auto start and it goes away after 5-10 mins. Has happened twice now and not consistent. I’ve only had the truck for a couple weeks and it’s at 50k mileage. Going to a good Ford Service Center in my area first week of January for a list of items and this will be discussed and addressed. Two service centers have already done the full multipoint inspection but I know that’***** or miss. Since I’m not well versed with these things I’m hoping it’s something simple like condensation - However it does not smell like condensation and it’s not sweet smelling. I’m hyper sensitive since I’m a new Raptor owner but I will report back either way once I get some resolution or traction.
It’s normal for all vehicles to have white exhaust vapors on cold start at lower temperatures. If it doesn’t have an oil or coolant odor than it’s nothing to be concerned with.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mine has done it couple times. always after its been idling about an hour while waiting for somebody on a jobsite to let me into the job. truck will sit all day and when I start it and drive off its like I am a jet plane leaving chem trail.. had it in to the dealer and both times couldn't recreate. BS. "could be moisture". we all know moisture doesn't linger like that from an exhaust pipe. and it isn't blueish white. or smell. to lazy is my guess to let it idle long enough and then let sit for hours before driving it. one good thing is I have a video and its been in 2 times and covered up to 60k. still have 24k more to go to recreate it again and a better video for evidence.
It certainly can be moisture, and most likely is since there is no odor. When you’re idling, the exhaust is cooler and exhaust velocity is low. Water is a byproduct of both combustion as well as catalytic converter operation. The water will pool in low areas of the exhaust, and eventually begin to turn to vapor/stream as the exhaust temperature slowly increases. This will be much more apparent if the truck is on an uneven surface, such as facing downhill.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It certainly can be moisture, and most likely is since there is no odor. When you’re idling, the exhaust is cooler and exhaust velocity is low. Water is a byproduct of both combustion as well as catalytic converter operation. The water will pool in low areas of the exhaust, and eventually begin to turn to vapor/stream as the exhaust temperature slowly increases. This will be much more apparent if the truck is on an uneven surface, such as facing downhill.
as I said mines blueish and smells. and parked on a level street. If it only happened when its cold out I would doubt myself but it even has happened mid summer. moisture will not act like thet when its 80 degrees out. I hope it is only moisture but. I am pretty sure it isn't. I just want to get it fixed for the next person before the warranty is up and my 22 comes in. if ford continues to say its nothing than I haven't a choice and have to trust them. I guess I could be wrong.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as I said mines blueish and smells. and parked on a level street. If it only happened when its cold out I would doubt myself but it even has happened mid summer. moisture will not act like thet when its 80 degrees out. I hope it is only moisture but. I am pretty sure it isn't. I just want to get it fixed for the next person before the warranty is up and my 22 comes in. if ford continues to say its nothing than I haven't a choice and have to trust them. I guess I could be wrong.
Maybe oil from the turbo?