GEN 2 Intermittent Smoke After Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Jayzus! that’s all we need is more this Jen is better than that Jen. We’re one, big, happy, dysfunctional Raptor family here.

Despite the ribbing, you did the right thing by coming here to find info and if you didn’t get a good answer out of reading, that happens. Better to ask, especially since it’s a first turbo.

However, since it was an intro post and lacked the appropriate, required photographic proof that we’re actually talking to a Raptor owner here,
View attachment 442791
So... Pictures. Or we are forced to conclude that this is you:

View attachment 442792
:)

( I can’t believe nobody’s caught this one yet. Must be all the gummy spam posts )
We’re trying to be better. Like the Gen 1 Raptor. Better.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Now there’s a man totally unafraid of spontaneous combustion, flickering electrics, and wholly unpredictable throttle.

:)

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately it sounds like your turbo seals are leaking a bit . If you are not super meticulous with oil changes; or they can just plain give out. Its a ceramic seal that can wheep oil. You gotta pull the intake pipes from the turbo to look . You could also pull your hot side pipes to the intercooler . If theres a lot oil you’ll know the answer.

OP
OP
T

T_Squared

Reaction score
Unfortunately it sounds like your turbo seals are leaking a bit . If you are not super meticulous with oil changes; or they can just plain give out. Its a ceramic seal that can wheep oil. You gotta pull the intake pipes from the turbo to look . You could also pull your hot side pipes to the intercooler . If theres a lot oil you’ll know the answer.
Thanks man. I will try to check them out this weekend. I figure hot side pipes will be more of a tell since it's downstream of the compressor, yeah? I will look for a good parts diagram or YouTube teardown video on them so I can see what's going on in there. Is it safe to say that if the turbine is leaking into the exhaust, then the compressor likely would be leaking too and leave residual oil in the intake/hot side piping?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks man. I will try to check them out this weekend. I figure hot side pipes will be more of a tell since it's downstream of the compressor, yeah? I will look for a good parts diagram or YouTube teardown video on them so I can see what's going on in there. Is it safe to say that if the turbine is leaking into the exhaust, then the compressor likely would be leaking too and leave residual oil in the intake/hot side piping?
Have you noticed that you have to add oil in between changes? Also what are your current OCI? Is it a used truck or you had since new?

OP
OP
T

T_Squared

Reaction score
Have you noticed that you have to add oil in between changes? Also what are your current OCI? Is it a used truck or you had since new?
I check fairly regularly. Especially since the first time I noticed the puff of smoke. I haven't had to add any oil to it between changes. It's maintained the level with any losses being negligible. I change the oil every 5-6k miles and use Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Here's a picture of what the catch can had in it when I changed the oil this past weekend. There wasn't much as far as volume goes though, just enough to cover the bottom of the catch can.1000025325.jpg