What to look for in accepting delivery of a 17 SCAB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C7M7

Reaction score
It has 37k miles and it’s being shipped from another state. It won’t be here until later but the service history looked great in it with no later than 8 months without going for an oil change.

That being said, with the known issues of the early gen 2 plastic oil pans, what are the chances that the previous owners may have not known that the oil pan was leaking and none of the mechanics caught to it hence the frequent oil changes? They seemed to be reasonably timed with the intervals of oil changes, but this was just something I thought of.

There were some rust concerns I had as well. From digging around I read that rust underneath can be common and not harmful, but another poster on this forum said to look for peelings or shavings. What should I look for in that?

I only put a 500 deposit down so it’s not set in stone but mostly reserving the truck for myself aka first dibs. Is there anything else I should look for when the truck arrives? How should I drive it and what should I pay attention to during the test drive as well?

Otherwise I love the damn thing and I can’t wait

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post pics of the underbody, I live in MI, im an expert lol

Also for the plastic oil pan, its possible they don't look close enough to see it leaking, because of lack of detail.

I found mine and while I wanted to switch to the late 18 pan, you cant easily for various reasons. The plastic one should not leak of done properly. Old one taken off and allowed to drip over night , prepped properly etc. I had mine done right before the end of my power train warranty was up as it was leaking slightly. Havent had a hint of an issue since in the last 22k miles.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Is there anything else I should look for when the truck arrives? How should I drive it and what should I pay attention to during the test drive as well?
Just like you’re buying new. Validate any function you can think of in the cabin; stereo, balance, fade, sync, gps, car/android play, heat, a/c, heated wheel, heated/cooled seats.

Exercise the transfer case through every setting and back to 2h. Run through the various drive modes. I’d do this part close to point of sale in case you run into problems.

make sure you do part of the drive in 2hi, give it some throttle with the windows done and up to see if IWEs are chattering. Try to get some bumpy terrain in and see how the suspension feels.