GEN 2 Warn Zeon Winch Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lwlandy

Reaction score
Thought I would do a writeup on my weekends activities, I installed a Warn Zeon 12 S Platinum winch using the original front bumper. This requires that the standard intercooler be replaced as the winch sits where the original intercooler was.
All parts I used:
  • SwarfWorks winch mount
  • SwarfWorks Light mount for flush mount lights behind bumper
  • Baja Designs flush mount Squadron Sport driving combo lights
  • SwarfWorks Wiring harness to connect Lights to Winch/Upfitter
  • Factor 55 Fairlead
  • Factor 55 Orange Ultrahook
  • SVC intercooler (SwarfWorks recommends the Full Race, but I wanted to try the SVC as I like some of the design elements, namely relocated BOV and the angled inlet and outlet ports.)
The SVC intercooler is supplied uncoated (bare aluminum), but as I wanted it to disappear behind the grill so I etch primed then painted it in satin black only on the front facing surfaces. It comes as a kit with all required hoses brackets and a bracket to relocate the adaptive cruise control module although I didn’t use this as I put the module back on the original bumper.

Front end teardown was a little daunting to start with but once I got into it, it was actually not that bad. It is surprising how much of the truck is simply held together with clips and poppers. One thing I did which helped was use the instructions for the full race Intercooler install as well as the ones supplied by SVC. It is clear that the SCV instructions are a work in progress, but good enough to get the job done.

The Intercooler mounting brackets and the intercooler itself are of great quality and fitted precisely with no effort at all. I left the lower plastic shroud in place and cutout holes for the intercooler inlet and outlet rather that cut the entire shroud out as it looks neat and also will help with airflow (not really needed) and helps prevent any dirt getting up to the front of the intercooler.

The winch mounting plate is well engineered (and heavy!), once in place it provides a very substantial mount and a very strong front end overall. It is something like 3/16"-1/4" thick steel. Getting the Winch up under the truck on my own was a little fiddly as it too is heavy and you need to ensure the nuts stay in place while lifting it in position, after them falling out a couple of times I just used some masking tape to hold them in while I lined it up and got the bolts started.

The BD lights install was very straight forward as I got the wiring harness from SwarfWorks they connect to the winch Aux output as well as the Upfitter switch. Hardest thing of the entire thing was finding and unwrapping the upfitter wires.

First test drive after installing everything I managed to blow off one of the hose connections as it wasn’t tight enough. That was pretty alarming - a big bang sound followed by lack of power as the turbos vented to air instead of providing boost. I was too cautious with the tightening of the hoses as they are pretty substantial clamps and clamping onto plastic and thin walled aluminum tube so I was weary of over tightening them and crushing the pipes. A quick re tightening and then all was good.

I am happy with the final install and think it looks pretty sleek, for an already capable truck now being super capable off-road and able to get out of a lot more tight spots with or without assistance.

Of note: the stiffening braces to the ends of the bumper are no longer in place as the original intercooler mounting bracket anchored them, I will look into making a new bracket so I can put the braces back on as though they do not move around there is nothing to stop the outer sections of the bumper folding back under just the slightest bump without them.

Winch mount.JPG

Tear down.JPG

Mount and Intercooler in place.JPG

Final.JPG

Y pipe and shroud.JPG

OP
OP
L

Lwlandy

Reaction score
Looks good. Any estimate on how long it took to install?
I work slow and did it all on my own, whole thing took me most of Saturday from 9AM to 6PM. That included a lot of looking things over for a long time before doing anything and looking online/at instructions etc. If I was to do it again it would probably take me half the time.

1badjk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I have been contemplating this exact mod but with the full race intercooler.

The main reason I haven’t pulled the trigger was a post about overheating issues with the bigger intercooler blocking the radiator. Once I am convinced that situation is being driven by other issues, I plan on getting it done.

Thanks for the post!

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I have been contemplating this exact mod but with the full race intercooler.

The main reason I haven’t pulled the trigger was a post about overheating issues with the bigger intercooler blocking the radiator. Once I am convinced that situation is being driven by other issues, I plan on getting it done.

Thanks for the post!

Glad things went good for you. Out of all the kits that I’ve sold, I’ve only had one person reach out to me during an install. And that because the customer didn’t tell the install ship that there was a second box of hardware (and the instructions) in the back of their truck. lol.

Anyway, as far as overheating, I have thouroughly beat the **** out of mine. I’ve put about 30k of the 51k miles on my truck with the Full Race intercooler and winch setup on it. The only time I had it get hot was at the Bonneville Salt Flats and one time at the dunes in Utah, but the ambient air temp was over 100 and the other Raptor I was with was running the same temps (235-240).

Usually I’m running 190-ish with the 170 t-stat. Hard off road in the desert in baja mode it’s usually around 205-210 with 90-ish ambient temps.

Anyway, I’ll attach a pic of how to modify the bumper strut braces. This works for the Full Race ic, but might work with the SVC.

74EA452C-26F5-48BE-B469-748458846D5F.png

C9A7F2DC-6EC6-4BC5-A60B-7F0E4ED88874.png

OP
OP
L

Lwlandy

Reaction score
Anyway, I’ll attach a pic of how to modify the bumper strut braces. This works for the Full Race ic, but might work with the SVC.

Thanks, yes i was going to try similar, I think i should be able to do that with the SVC mount to. one thing i was not sure of was the 4 spacers highlighted in the pic. I think they may have been sent in error? let me know if you want them back.or if i should have used them somewhere.. :)

spacers.PNG

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one thing i was not sure of was the 4 spacers highlighted in the pic.

Those are to shim the leading edge of the skiplate down just slightly if needed. Depending on the up/down position of your bumper/winch adjustment, it’s possible that you’d need them. If not, then hey, free aluminum man!

OP
OP
L

Lwlandy

Reaction score
Those are to shim the leading edge of the skiplate down just slightly if needed. Depending on the up/down position of your bumper/winch adjustment, it’s possible that you’d need them. If not, then hey, free aluminum man!
Ahh, makes sense. I didn't notice that there were any issues when putting the skid plate back, but when I sort out the bumper struts I will take a closer look. thx.

VLOCRPTR

Reaction score
Great write up. I installed the same on my truck with the ADD intercooler. Swarfworks engineering is top notch, the instructions are good (the video on YouTube is extremely helpful) and everything worked very well. I had some fun trimming the grill (I’m not an artist) but this is an awesome setup!

Highly recommended.