Warn Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like a hand powered come along?
Yeah. Here's what I carry:

The Wyeth-Scott Co. - portable winches | cable puller | come along winches

The 3 ton version with the amsteel synthetic rope.

That 3 ton rating is in terms of a dead lift, not a slide. In other words, this thing will pick 6000 lbs straight up off the ground. Winches like the Warn list their capacities in terms of pulling or dragging. To compare the two, the typical ratio of 2:1 is used, meaning the more power puller is equivalent to the 12k lb Warn winch you listed.

One major advantage of this approach is you're not stuck with it being mounted up front. You can pull in any direction you need to pull.

Food for thought.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about a come along AND a winch?

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Seems like the winch would be far easier to operate alone, instead of having to keep advancing the come along in little increments

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. Here's what I carry:

The Wyeth-Scott Co. - portable winches | cable puller | come along winches

The 3 ton version with the amsteel synthetic rope.

That 3 ton rating is in terms of a dead lift, not a slide. In other words, this thing will pick 6000 lbs straight up off the ground. Winches like the Warn list their capacities in terms of pulling or dragging. To compare the two, the typical ratio of 2:1 is used, meaning the more power puller is equivalent to the 12k lb Warn winch you listed.

One major advantage of this approach is you're not stuck with it being mounted up front. You can pull in any direction you need to pull.

Food for thought.

putting one of those on my list of trail gear.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about a come along AND a winch?

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Seems like the winch would be far easier to operate alone, instead of having to keep advancing the come along in little increments
If by advancing it you mean cranking the handle, yeah for sure pressing a button is going to be far, far easier.

But, quite frankly I wasn't willing to hang 120ish lbs off the very front of my Raptor. The suspension is so finely tuned, that in my humble opinion and considering how I drive it, that weight would be very noticeable.

Also, I was concerned at the mechanics; I enjoy the occasional water crossing, as well as a mud sling here and there. I'm positive it would have been fine, but I wasn't willing to trust it or maintain the cable/rope.

And then there's being able to tow in any direction, which is something I found very appealing.

That and it tucks away nice neat and small in the bed of the truck, protected from the elements until needed...

For me, given all the positives, the investment of a little sweat equity should the need arise made good sense.

YMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDBRUIN