Volant CAI Intake Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done my saga with the whole Volant/Corsa Gen II CAI for my 14" SCREW.

I was ready to junk it all, but worked with one of our vendors who was great to deal with and it allowed me to "Modify" without worry of investment loss.

In the end I cut about 4" out of the Corsa/Volant intake Tube, slipped the TB to Tube sleeve over the two vent hoses that I removed the screw in ends for max smooth air flow b/t MAF and TB and then used an old Truck 4" to 3" (or close b/c I needed a rubber mallet to get it onto the 6.2L Muffler Box lol) and was able to $hithouse the modified CAI tube on and then I used a spare hose coupler to attach to the MAF. Needed some spare LARGE hose clamps I had too...but all in all it sounds a little more agressive than stock but ALL of the stupid, and IMHO ridonkulous bellowing noises at on/off and initial throttle that Iceman eluded to...are completely gone now.

I also got the Prefilter for my Donalsdon Powercore, but also took a Frogskinz snowmobile prefilter vent and hose clamped it over the front intake port on the CAI box for extra protection as the Frogskinz will not allow water molecules to pass but air goes right in.

Overall...WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much time spent to...again IMHO...reengineer what Corsa bought from Volant and what Volant did not produce correctly...but it's done now.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the PN for the prefilter?

fyi for others, scuff up the end of the tube where the silicone couple grips and buy T bolt clamps to replace the worm drives. Had to do a bit of modifying as well, hopefully corsa will be more helpful than Volant was or rather wasn't

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone is having the fit issues. I have the Volant installed because I sold it to a customer who told me that there was no way to make it fit. I had him return it to me and spent more time trying to figure out the instructions (which do suck) than I did actually installing it. While I agree, it is louder than stock with the intake installed, I had no issue with fit. It fits like a glove and everything lines up perfectly. Even the remote start. I DID find that the tabs on the main mount for the box and coolant tank have to go UNDER the studs on the fender lip instead of over the studs to make it work, but looking closely at the directions that came with mine, that was eluded to in them as well. The intake actually fits great in my truck.

I DO understand why some folks are wanting to mod the intake tube to quiet it back down like stock, but anything installed that eliminates the resonator box at the throttle body will have the same affect, so it isn't just a Corsa Volant thing there.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris I think earlier issues (mine atleast) were with wrong parts (brackets/hardware) sent. I'm lost on what boss's reasoning for cutting the tube, i just assume they sent him hardware for a chevy cavelier. I probably would never had made a deal of this, but when I did politely call them the guy I talked to apparently left all his ***** at home that day :)

I had to modify my bracket to allow the harness to reach, still resulted in using zip tie solutions for the harness box and using what i had to make the hood switch work. Still prefer this box and filter over others, but clearly there are issues with people in their warehouse

89D-87D0D5C5C2EA-1437-00000114D56AE154_zpsbeb505d7.jpg

FA7-71A941B2C5E2-1437-000001150014515A_zps49be9b20.jpg

667-6F74296008C8-1437-000001153FA89D93_zps12687b03.jpg

EE7-B3FDD88EE3D7-1437-00000115784DBAF8_zpsf8e84f13.jpg

grumpy old man rant end\

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EE7-B3FDD88EE3D7-1437-00000115784DBAF8_zpsf8e84f13.jpg

grumpy old man rant end\

I DO believe that. I have a "connection" to someone in the higher ups of Volant that has helped me to figure a few things out like the way the mount fits, etc. For example, looking in the picture above, you would not have had to relocate the harness box at the top end tab of the bracket had you removed that stud completely and then reinstalled the stud over the bracket and then remounted that other harness box on the stud. Installing the intake mounting bracket on top of that stud doesn't leave enough room to have both mounts there and still have the nut be able to catch the threads. Also, installing the mount so that that tab is over top of that stud could have very well have been what caused you to have to cut into the mount. What I noticed when I installed mine was that when that mounting tab is over top of that stud, it throws off the alignment of everything else and even makes the replacement coolant overflow tank jam itself into the brake fluid reservoir. However, once I took that stud out and installed that tab under it instead, everything lined up perfectly and I was then scratching my head trying to figure out why in the world they couldn't come up with better installation instructions. I mean, surely there is someone there at Volant/Corsa that can put together better instructions.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that thing on and off a dozen times, and thought I exhausted all options of relocating things, but it's likley I missed something. Any pictures you might have to better explain will be a nice help to others i'm sure.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Sir, I have a pic below, but can go out and take more when the wife gets back in it. Funny thing, she actually drives it more than I do...lol She leaves it here so I can use it if I need it, but only drives her Yukon now to work and back. If she goes anywhere else she takes the Raptor....lol

In this pic, you can see that I actually inserted the lip of that tab under the lip of the quarter panel itself. I had to completely remove the stud that that other mount is on, but it worked out great. But whether you put that tab under the lip of the quarter panel or between the lip of the quarter panel and the stud, it works out the same.
20140214_165207_zpsd7dzttvq.jpg

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I absolutely love how loud the Corsa CAI is. To each their own though.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Just got done my saga with the whole Volant/Corsa Gen II CAI for my 14" SCREW.

I was ready to junk it all, but worked with one of our vendors who was great to deal with and it allowed me to "Modify" without worry of investment loss.

In the end I cut about 4" out of the Corsa/Volant intake Tube, slipped the TB to Tube sleeve over the two vent hoses that I removed the screw in ends for max smooth air flow b/t MAF and TB and then used an old Truck 4" to 3" (or close b/c I needed a rubber mallet to get it onto the 6.2L Muffler Box lol) and was able to $hithouse the modified CAI tube on and then I used a spare hose coupler to attach to the MAF. Needed some spare LARGE hose clamps I had too...but all in all it sounds a little more agressive than stock but ALL of the stupid, and IMHO ridonkulous bellowing noises at on/off and initial throttle that Iceman eluded to...are completely gone now.

I also got the Prefilter for my Donalsdon Powercore, but also took a Frogskinz snowmobile prefilter vent and hose clamped it over the front intake port on the CAI box for extra protection as the Frogskinz will not allow water molecules to pass but air goes right in.

Overall...WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much time spent to...again IMHO...reengineer what Corsa bought from Volant and what Volant did not produce correctly...but it's done now.

I am interested in a pic of the Frogskinz prefilter installed and a part number if you have one.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to get some pics and further explanations (which I think will FULLY clarify things) up later on.

The Frogskinz piece I am using is off the front of an 08 Skidoo Rev XP and is in NO way a great fit or awesome look...but...it was FREE since I owned it already lol and it works and since I am of the mindset that good looking stuff under the hood is nice...but not necessary since it's "UNDER" the hood I just used it.

I will try and find the Volant filter "prefilter" part # too.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the PN for the prefilter?

Yep, Part # is Volant 51922 Filter Oval Powercore, Color Black

I don't understand why everyone is having the fit issues.

For me the pathetic instructions were the only fitment issues. I have installed more CAIs over the years than I care to think about...this was by far the worst...not b/c of anything except **** poor instructions. All they need is ONE YOUTUBE video and we'd be all set. As for where all the tabs or brackets mount on the fender...I quickly realized you needed to take ALL The OEM stuff out, but I still had to bend the fuse/relay box by the firewall and I ended up using an old CAI protective strip to line the Corsa/Volant Bracket so the wiring would not chafe against it. I think this is just **** POOR on the Volant/Corsa side of things b/c had the bracket been narrowed down/tapered there it would have all fit fine.

While I agree, it is louder than stock with the intake installed, I had no issue with fit. It fits like a glove and everything lines up perfectly. Even the remote start. I DID find that the tabs on the main mount for the box and coolant tank have to go UNDER the studs on the fender lip instead of over the studs to make it work, but looking closely at the directions that came with mine, that was eluded to in them as well. The intake actually fits great in my truck.

Again, my fitment was fine, but the BELLOWING at part to mid/full throttle is just awful IMHO...I could be on the highway and just tap the gas pedal and make the truck go WOOOOOM WOOOOOM WOOOOOM...and when towing...forget about it...:snoopfacepalm:

I DO understand why some folks are wanting to mod the intake tube to quiet it back down like stock, but anything installed that eliminates the resonator box at the throttle body will have the same affect, so it isn't just a Corsa Volant thing there.

I would LOVE to see something of a Happy Medium...so NOT straight into the TB, but not the HUGE thing there now...curious how that would be....

I'm lost on what boss's reasoning for cutting the tube, i just assume they sent him hardware for a chevy cavelier. \

When REINSTALLING the 6.2L OEM intake Muffler box at the TB, you cannot use the Volant/Corsa Intake Tube...it's about 4" too long and it needs to be trimmed. When I had ALL the Corsa/Volant stuff on there I did not need to trim anything and it all fit perfect...just sounded like ASSSSS!!!