Vegas to Reno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my race write up for you guys. I wanna start off by saying that Adam and Ryan killed it out there. Our entire crew did a great job and I don't think we could ask more of anybody, the luck just wasn't with us this time.

Wednesday Qualifying: We qualified pretty well, Adam's plan was to run the truck at 60% so as to not break anything before the race. He did great and we qualified 45th. Only came away with body damage. Adam saw a photographer and aired the truck out a little, what he didn't know is on the other side of the jump was a left turn and he nailed the berm with the passenger side front tire, chewing up the fender in the process. The photographer happened to be John Tuba of Tuba Art Films, the creator of Bragging Rights (good movie if you havent seen it).

BRAGGING RIGHTS - Offical Trailer - - YouTube

He captured this still, and said the video would be in Bragging Rights 2.

599277_10151029672804150_1214877147_n.jpg

Thursday: Tech Inspecation at Aliante. Everything goes pretty well until we find out that Kroyer gave someone else our driveshaft. We spent most of the day tracking it down, to find out the team who received it, found it was 2 inches too short. So they cut and extended it. We contact them, they re-shorten it and bring us our driveline. The rest of the day goes well, we get to Pahrump about midnight and check in to the hotel.

Friday, Race Day: 4:30 comes early. We all quickly wake up out of excitement though. Drive to the starting line in Beatty. Do last minute prep, tie tool bags to truck, extra belt and nuts, tape energy packs to roof of truck, etc. Adam and Ryan head to starting line in truck, We drive to Pit 1 to watch them pass thru.

We set up at Pit 1 to make sure everything is ok. They patch thru over the radio, the the pulley backed off the dry sump oil pump. Ryan MacGyver'ed it to make it work till they got to the pit. We pulled a bolt out of a body latch to use as a set screw. We send them on their way. It hold up the rest of the race.

Things are going well. We have lost radio contact with them. I forget what mile they’re at but it’s extremely dusty. They come up on a UTV they couldn't see and only have 2 options, 1. Hit him and injure or possibly kill him. 2. go off course. Adam chose the 2nd. As soon as the get off course there is a small ravine, they nose dive in it. 60-0 in nanoseconds, Adam almost knocks himself out. Huge damage, front torn up, one fan off radiator, other fan blades flexed, broke and put hole in radiator. Ryan hops out and dumps his Camelbak in the radiator. They make it to the next pit. We break off the opposite blades of the remaining fan so it’s not out of balance. We fix the radiator with an oxy-acetylene solder, JB Kwik Weld (we have all decide to stock up on this), and radiator leak fix. It holds for the rest of the race. Although we now have cooling problems for the rest of the day.

539105_4434087817138_301755007_n.jpg

Things start going well again, we are starting to make better time. Pit stops are getting quicker. Not sure what pit, but it’s taking them much longer than expected to meet us. The come in over the radio, power-steering hose is blown, they semi patch it with Duct Tape and Adam drives it thru hills to pit with basically no power-steering. We put together a new hose with fittings while they’re on their way. We change out the hoses, fuel and swap tires, and rig a 30” Rigid bar that had been mangled in the front end impact earlier. The Rigid bar is bent end missing and held up with duct tape, zip ties, and bailing wire. They take off.

We go to pit 14. Our last pit, we won’t be able to beat them to 15. Jared gets ready to swap places with Ryan as co-driver. It’s taking longer than expected. Finally we see them. Adam says there’s dust in the carb, somebody helped them at Pit 13 to clean it out. We clean it again and refuel. Adam and Jared take off, we head to finish line to watch them complete their first race!

We get a call over the radio. It’s finished, the motor blew at mile 490-something. 30 miles away from the end, far enough to finish any other BITD race and some of them almost twice. They get out of the truck and walk to the highway for us to pick them up. We go recover the truck and head to Reno, all of us extremely proud of Adam. We get to Reno around 4:30, it’s been a crazy 24 hours.

We are already planning and preparing for the next race. We’ve got it this time.

We would like to thank everybody who helped us in the pits. Many times we would have been sunk much shorter in to the race if it wasn't for y'all.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

I must post this here for everyone that went with us.

The Trucker Song - YouTube

Last edited:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Man. No love for the Locos Mocos crew that helped yall at the Tonopah pit??

Bummer on the engine. Yall will get a finish soon enough.

OP
OP
Maxx2893

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. No love for the Locos Mocos crew that helped yall at the Tonopah pit??

Bummer on the engine. Yall will get a finish soon enough.

Trey so many people helped us I don't even remember everybody that did. Which pit number was Tonopah again? But thanks for reminding me to thank everybody who helped us.

Wait were y'all the ones with the orange signs that said Baja Pits?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxx2893

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn 30 miles from the finish. Better luck next time & thanks for sharing.

Yeah it sucked being so close but at the same time we were all proud of each other for all the stuff we overcame. Our last 2 races were 5 miles and 20 miles in to the race, so we made it much further and the fact that any other BITD race, we would have finished.

We are still getting this truck dialed in and once we do, I truly believe Adam will go places.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Trey so many people helped us I don't even remember everybody that did. Which pit number was Tonopah again? But thanks for reminding me to thank everybody who helped us.

Wait were y'all the ones with the orange signs that said Baja Pits?

It was a baja pits pit, so there would have been signs out there. I wasn't there. My Locos Mocos buddies said they helped yall with making a hose and fluids (or something to that affect).

OP
OP
Maxx2893

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a baja pits pit, so there would have been signs out there. I wasn't there. My Locos Mocos buddies said they helped yall with making a hose and fluids (or something to that affect).

Ah yes that was the power steering hose they helped with. Like i said so many people helped us I couldn't remember who all, but i add something at the end thanking everyone.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Ah yes that was the power steering hose they helped with. Like i said so many people helped us I couldn't remember who all, but i add something at the end thanking everyone.

Just messin with you a little. Races tend to blur together. I got a text from some of my pit buds saying they helped out the R&R truck.

OP
OP
Maxx2893

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just messin with you a little. Races tend to blur together. I got a text from some of my pit buds saying they helped out the R&R truck.

Yeah it was a big blur, but you did bring something up that I forgot to mention. Because without all that helped we wouldn't have made it as far as we did.

So tell your crew thank you for us would you please

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trey Baja Pits was a big help, I wish I would have realized that was your Locos Mocos crew at the time and I would have been dropping your name for sure!

The Vegas to Reno trip was a hell of an experience, and I was glad to be a part of it. 3,750 miles in the Raptor in 6 days will either make you love or hate your truck.

- Panda, aka Trucker by Trade