Trying to decide on my next Raptor (2017 vs 2018)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YoshiTheRaptor

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the market for my 2nd Raptor. I previously had a 2017 Raptor (802A Carbon Fiber Tech) I had to part with.

The two I am considering are as follows:

**I am in Canada***

1) 2017 Raptor Crew Cab - 802A Package, Carbon Fiber, Full Graphics Package,
25K Miles (42,000KMS).

Clean Carfax, one owner, bought and serviced at the same dealer selling it.
Negotiated Price $62,000 USD
The dealership completely addressed any issues and recalls including the Cam Phaser fix.
I have a deposit on this one, as it was by far the best deal at the time, and my plan was to fly up north next week and drive it the 1k journey home.

However another one came up locally recently below....

2) 2018 Raptor Crew Cab - 802A Package, Carbon Fiber, Technology Package, Doesn't have the hood stripes but the bed graphics,
14K Miles (22,000KMS).

Clean Carfax, one owner, bought and serviced at the same dealer selling it as well.
Current Price $70,000 USD - They seem pretty firm on the price, I might be able to get this down 1k or so. But they have a lot of BS fees I will try to avoid as well. The market is hot out here for raptors, they sell fast. The 2017 is out of the area and I feel could be fetching more $ if local.

Things that stand out, the 2018 obviously is 1 year newer and has half the miles and has the technology package. I had the technology package on my 2017 and didn't really care for it, but it would add resale value.
2018 doesnt have the full graphics package which I know can be easily added and is just cosmetic. But it’s my personal preference to have it.

At the end of the day it comes down to price a difference of 6-8k USD for one year newer, half the miles and technology pack.

I was close to the top end of my budget with the 2017 as I originally was looking at one 5k usd cheaper, but found this one with less miles.

What does everyone think, I think it comes down to dollars.

I am hoping to keep this vehicle long term.

Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you’re going to keep it a while, what’s the use case?
commuter? vacation truck? off road toy? combination?

If you’re only planning on keeping it for a few years, trading or selling, then the ’18 is likely to hold value a little better going forward.

That said, if you’re at the top of your budget, don’t put yourself over budget for a truck you will be too poor to properly make your own.

I vote go with the 2017.

OP
OP
YoshiTheRaptor

YoshiTheRaptor

Reaction score
I work from some so it’s basically a pleasure vehicle daily driver. Might eventually do some off roading. I do plan to keep it a while, at least I hope to I change cars too fast but I’m trying to get exactly what I want this time to avoid that.

In terms of budget I could make the 2018 work but it is a little bit of a stretch.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I reiterate my support for the ’17. Give yourself more wiggle room in case you want mods. You will want to do mods.

OP
OP
YoshiTheRaptor

YoshiTheRaptor

Reaction score
I reiterate my support for the ’17. Give yourself more wiggle room in case you want mods. You will want to do mods.

Leaning towards it heavily, and looking forward to the long drive home.

I just hope it looks as good as the pics/videos they sent me when I see it. If not I can always haggle more

OP
OP
YoshiTheRaptor

YoshiTheRaptor

Reaction score
You will enjoy it more if you feel you did not over pay.
Totally, after sitting down and really crunching the numbers the savings of buying the 2017 are substantial compared to the 2018. And plus in this crazy market, I feel like I am getting a deal on the 2017 compared to what's out here locally.

I am going with the 2017!

Thanks!