Top hat failure with aftermarket springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Revisiting this whole subject, I go back to the video and every shock bucket broken/cracked shown is actually with FRS and not OEM hats.
FRS hats are solid aluminum with heim joints at the top of the shock vs OEM rubber components. So without the rubber parts and everything being solid does that mean more impact is driven into the buckets and they are the next weak link??

Or does having FRS vs Oem give the driver a bigger EGO to push things harder.

..........things that make you go hummmm.

i have the live valve FRS and i dont think it was a huge difference over the stock live valve shocks, but with added oil capacity, im sure you can go farther, faster before cooking the oil in the shocks..

i seem to remember the top hat being completely flat and the tiny washer thing might be the whole issue here. doubler plates needed

52predator

Reaction score
Go to EXO's Instagram page and they have reels on it. I believe all issues were with 2+ " springs. The stock shock buckets can't handle much hard abuse.
I thought so, too. Thanks. I've always used the Eibach level 1" springs and never had any issues.

DJ NeX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Keep it Dirty no longer recommends geisers/eibachs/deavers, and has not recommended them for several years...why does he leave those videos where he is recommending them up?

Then he shows up years later with a solution that he is SELLING.

READ THE ROOM, DIRTY!

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Keep it Dirty no longer recommends geisers/eibachs/deavers, and has not recommended them for several years...why does he leave those videos where he is recommending them up?

Then he shows up years later with a solution that he is SELLING.

READ THE ROOM, DIRTY!

he talks about what he hears and claims he is an expert. its my problem with him he will shit on something even without any first hand experience u
only because some he respects said it.

munch520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesus. So for those of us that don't jump the truck but off-road...should we scrap the Geiser HDs and go with something more tame, like an eibach 1" front and puck in the rear?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jesus. So for those of us that don't jump the truck but off-road...should we scrap the Geiser HDs and go with something more tame, like an eibach 1" front and puck in the rear?

why not the SDi top hat? i think RPG has one in process too..the stock top hat is really the big issue..

munch520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not the SDi top hat? i think RPG has one in process too..the stock top hat is really the big issue..
I honestly feel like it’ll probably be one solution chasing another one until a complete/comprehensive kit comes out from Fox, Icon, etc that improves the top hat/bucket rigidity or whatever.

Not that it’s a huge issue. I don’t ever jump mine so the hard top/bottom out doesn’t happen. Which I’d assume means the risk is low/nonexistent.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I honestly feel like it’ll probably be one solution chasing another one until a complete/comprehensive kit comes out from Fox, Icon, etc for the g3 trucks.

Not that it’s a huge issue. I don’t ever jump mine so the hard top/bottom out doesn’t happen. Which I’d assume means the risk is low/nonexistent.
Gen3 isn't different from the others. It will be a common failure on gen3 as well.. they've already engineered the new top hat. Problem solved..

whether you're jumping or not, if the suspension is being cycled at high rates of speed, the stock hat can fail just like its shown in this thread.

I'm not a big keep it dirty fan but there's been plenty of failures and the solution to the problem is here