Top hat failure with aftermarket springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to EXO's Instagram page and they have reels on it. I believe all issues were with 2+ " springs. The stock shock buckets can't handle much hard abuse.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford gave us far, far fewer compromises than folks who update a single or few components of the suspension --system--, without concern for what other impacts those changes have. Which keep it dirty pretty much admitted. Finally. The chain is only as strong as its weakest link and if you put something in that changes that equation, something else is going to fail. You can never make it 100% failure free, you can only potentially improve it within a specific range.

The problem the “youtube / instagram influencer” engineers introduce is they decide what is the weakest component ignorantly OR they make poor life choices like “I know I don’t need it, but I like how the truck looks with a 3” lift, so we’ll incorporate that into the design”. Then they complain about the truck’s behavior, rationalize why their modification is not at fault, no way, no how because they’re SUPREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE, and you should believe them because they have <insert number> of followers on social media. People fall for this.

I’ll admit as well, there are ... a lot of windows in my house, so to speak. I did exactly what I’m pointing out above on my Raptor Stereo and would have saved about a grand if I’d upgraded the sound as a system, rather than try to piece meal update what I thought needed done. Lesson hopefully learned.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Ford gave us far, far fewer compromises than folks who update a single or few components of the suspension --system--, without concern for what other impacts those changes have. Which keep it dirty pretty much admitted. Finally. The chain is only as strong as its weakest link and if you put something in that changes that equation, something else is going to fail. You can never make it 100% failure free, you can only potentially improve it within a specific range.

The problem the “youtube / instagram influencer” engineers introduce is they decide what is the weakest component ignorantly OR they make poor life choices like “I know I don’t need it, but I like how the truck looks with a 3” lift, so we’ll incorporate that into the design”. Then they complain about the truck’s behavior, rationalize why their modification is not at fault, no way, no how because they’re SUPREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE, and you should believe them because they have <insert number> of followers on social media. People fall for this.

I’ll admit as well, there are ... a lot of windows in my house, so to speak. I did exactly what I’m pointing out above on my Raptor Stereo and would have saved about a grand if I’d upgraded the sound as a system, rather than try to piece meal update what I thought needed done. Lesson hopefully learned.
I only watch youtube videos with shocked facial expressions and bright backgrounds for the thumbnail.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People have been over-driving F150's in the desert since the I-beam was invented. There wasn't an instagram around to post the latest "Yard Sale", (aka parts-shredding crash), back then. I've bottomed out hard enough to force dual Rancho rebuildable shocks right through the shock mounts, I've had the driveshaft fall out, bent the axle, etc, on modified 2wd trucks for decades. Our class 1400 (back-halfed 2wd Ranger with 20",front & 28" rear travel) had $50K in fab work & parts; it could survive impacts hard enough for us to see stars yet it didn't break. We once went end over end and landed so hard on the roof that the weight of the fuel actually bent the fuel cell UP, & the roof panel was shaped like the granite it hit. Both helmets were cracked, harnesses were stretched, and I had a concussion, but the cage definitely saved us from major head injuries.

My conclusion: A regular f150 was designed and tested to cycle around 7-8" front, maybe a ilttle more in back, on a 28-30" tire.. The Raptor version uses the same basic geometry+better dampening to roughly double that, on 35's.. From that point beyond, slight modifications creates a slight improvement, but shock buckets, steering racks, and A-arm brackets are ALL the weakest link. If you go beyond that, but don't plan on spending $$$ for the H&M-level upgrades, you'll be breaking the truck and maybe tasting your own blood on impact. When THAT happens, you're going to wish you had a cage.

Attachments

• 20240110_125456.jpg
    20240110_125456.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240110_125143.jpg
    20240110_125143.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
People have been over-driving F150's in the desert since the I-beam was invented. There wasn't an instagram around to post the latest "Yard Sale", (aka parts-shredding crash), back then. I've bottomed out hard enough to force dual Rancho rebuildable shocks right through the shock mounts, I've had the driveshaft fall out, bent the axle, etc, on modified 2wd trucks for decades. Our class 1400 (back-halfed 2wd Ranger with 20",front & 28" rear travel) had $50K in fab work & parts; it could survive impacts hard enough for us to see stars yet it didn't break. We once went end over end and landed so hard on the roof that the weight of the fuel actually bent the fuel cell UP, & the roof panel was shaped like the granite it hit. Both helmets were cracked, harnesses were stretched, and I had a concussion, but the cage definitely saved us from major head injuries.

My conclusion: A regular f150 was designed and tested to cycle around 7-8" front, maybe a ilttle more in back, on a 28-30" tire.. The Raptor version uses the same basic geometry+better dampening to roughly double that, on 35's.. From that point beyond, slight modifications creates a slight improvement, but shock buckets, steering racks, and A-arm brackets are ALL the weakest link. If you go beyond that, but don't plan on spending $$$ for the H&M-level upgrades, you'll be breaking the truck and maybe tasting your own blood on impact. When THAT happens, you're going to wish you had a cage.
So... Don’t skimp, AMIRITE?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The other reason they are breaking suspension is that it's all new terrain for everyone except the guides. We would prerun laps in Barstow 4-5 times at a relaxed pace, make notes, communicate hazards by radio, even mark stuff with spray paint prior to race day.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Revisiting this whole subject, I go back to the video and every shock bucket broken/cracked shown is actually with FRS and not OEM hats.
FRS hats are solid aluminum with heim joints at the top of the shock vs OEM rubber components. So without the rubber parts and everything being solid does that mean more impact is driven into the buckets and they are the next weak link??

Or does having FRS vs Oem give the driver a bigger EGO to push things harder.

..........things that make you go hummmm.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i will say that the FRS shocks come with tiny washers that barely cover the slotted holes in the shock bucket..

it appears that the 3 pics he shows of cracking in the top of the bucket, were all FRS shocks, and maybe its the same truck from different angles but it appears to me that they are breaking thru from the bottom?

i got some bigger washers for mine, and i hope it helps, but often the factory parts arent up to the long term effects of running off road. there are some options for shock buckets out there already. i'd rather not have to change them out.. lol

i can see how a higher spring rate would pull the shock shaft thru the stamped steel, riveted top hat.. i think the SDI top mount is the best option for stock shocks, we'll see how it does. the 1.7in eibach springs were very close to the same spring rate as stock, but there was 2 sets at one time..

i didnt notice a paid promotion on the video, but surely its an ad, right? can never tell with that guy..