GEN 2 Too much Carbon??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me. the answer is yeah, too much. but it's your truck.

Paint all the panels baby shit green if that's what does it for you.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't see the point of CF under the hood, unless you're actually doing to reduce weight. Then again, if you're regularly showing people what's it's like under the hood...whatever.

Within the interior, I think CF, fake or real, is a good way to add give it a bit of a different look while still blending in. Other overlays or replacements just don't quite look like they belong. That said, I think it looks good when you have a piece or two here and there, or you go all out and do as much as possible. I think there's somewhat of a no man's land where it looks you just couldn't fully commit to it. It's either subtle changes where you don't notice it unless you look for it, or it's all decked out and there's more carbon then plastic. That's the way I see it anyway.

As far as CF only being used to reduce weight, not for styling, to each their own I guess.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot the Cobb redline carbon fiber coolant cover to go with the redline intake.

I do like the look of the cover, but cant get over adding a dummy cover just for looks. Technically the same could be said for the foam engine cover. I never understood the point of the factory covering the engine and keeping the heat in. I know that ford claims it absorbs some sound, but that may have been secondary to covering an ugly engine.

As far as CF only being used to reduce weight, not for styling, to each their own I guess.

Carbon fiber's purpose and reason it exists it to save weight and add strength. That is inherently what adds to its beauty, it is (or was originally) expensive & exotic. So when it is used to save weight or add strenght, that is the real beauty. If you are adding it as a cover, (or using a cheap product like anything from C7Carbon), then to a true enthusiast, it is not going to play out well. Sort of like driving a Fiero based Ferrari kit car.

But on the flip side, Ford did add, basically "fake" CF with the interior package. It is real CF it appears, but it is under a clear plastic cover, probaly as pure cloth with no resign, which makes it look nice but it is purely cosmetic and weighs more than the original part.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Carbon fiber's purpose and reason it exists it to save weight and add strength. That is inherently what adds to its beauty, it is (or was originally) expensive & exotic. So when it is used to save weight or add strength, that is the real beauty. If you are adding it as a cover, (or using a cheap product like anything from C7Carbon), then to a true enthusiast, it is not going to play out well. Sort of like driving a Fiero based Ferrari kit car.

So a CF enthusiast is going to be bothered when CF is used in a way that doesn't add functionality because of it's weight and strength? I would think they would be just fine with that, as it lowers the overall cost of CF. Those that make CF for a living would love the extra business.

I agree that CF is cooler when it's used for a purpose rather than just decoration, but I don't think means that it doesn't add to the comfort and styling when cheaper products, like plastic, would suffice. Honestly, you could say the same thing about wood grain, or higher grades of plastic, or something else used in the interior of a vehicle. Cheap plastic will get the job done.

But on the flip side, Ford did add, basically "fake" CF with the interior package. It is real CF it appears, but it is under a clear plastic cover, probaly as pure cloth with no resign, which makes it look nice but it is purely cosmetic and weighs more than the original part.

Yep.

OP
OP
Brento008

Brento008

Reaction score

I saw a Raptor in Town this weekend that had all those CF Exterior Upgrades. I dunno. I guess I am just weird, but I don't like the CF on the Outside. It looked clean and subtle, but just not my jam.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, they are APR. HonestLy, one of, if not the, favorite mods I have done. They look so much better than the plastic. They just finish out the look of the truck. There is very little plastic on the exterior with these, and I really like that. The fact that they are nice, glossy, high quality CF is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, they are APR. HonestLy, one of, if not the, favorite mods I have done. They look so much better than the plastic. They just finish out the look of the truck. There is very little plastic on the exterior with these, and I really like that. The fact that they are nice, glossy, high quality CF is the icing on the cake.

I have APR too. Do your hood vents have a very slight raised area in the sheen around where each clip was bonded on? I think the pressure from the bonding process of the anchors on the back side left a slight ridge on the surface. Most people would not notice it, but I do. That is the only complaint, the rest of the finish and quality if fabulous.