GEN 2 Time to find a new RAPTOR?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well folks,

It happened. No, not my first three-some. The results are in, the rear differential bearing noise is indeed a failure. Ford said $3500. Additionally, the banging into 5th, 8th and a tiny bit of slippage into 8 to 9th gears is determined by Ford that my transmission is also nearing toast. They said $8300 for new transmission. The truck has 158,830 miles on it and its a 2017, the private party sale price is $32k. I do have a bit more to pay on it.

Help me figure out my options please:

1. I had work done at a local shop that has great reviews and I appreciate them. Question is, did they put the correct amount of fluid in the trans and diff? What leg do I have to stand on?
2. The trans can continue on for probably through the winter honestly I just need to drive it carefully. (under 100mph, no more manual shifting, remove the tune)
3. I found an entire rear end from a 2017 RAPTOR with 80k on it for $1300 shipped to the house. R&R wont be bad, my buddy has a 2500 sqft garage with a big boy lift and we can swap it in 8 hours.

I am bummed. I talk so much shit on here lol. AND MY SHIT BROKE.

1694697804290.png

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
It depends. $12k is less the price of a new/used truck. Do you prefer the styling and tech of a newer truck? Can you move some of the mods on the Gen 2 to the new truck or do you need to redo all of that work?

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sucks! Sorry to hear that!
I had ring and pinion and all bearing swapped in my rear axle when my pinion bearing went out for less than 2k all in with parts and install by a reputable offroad shop. I would do that before I let Ford do it for 3500.
I would drain fluid and swap in a new tranny filter and refill with some new fluid. Do it your self and it a few hundred buck and some time. I would do that before I swap a transmission. And cross my fingers

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure how spending 50k+ to save 12k is money ahead.

I say fix it.

I get that since I run a shop that seems like the answer I would give.

But I ask, when the furnace or water heater goes out in your home do you sale it?

I tend to keep, vehicles, homes and wife for extend periods. To me repairs are just part of life. I had to put a new roof on my house about 6 years ago. It was 13k, I bet it would be about 17k now. New A/C and furnace was 10k. 12 years ago.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a wondering post…. Are you asking if you should sell the truck with all the issues to an unsuspecting
person or someone who knows the issues……..and get a different one?

You are underwater already but what is that number? Can you pay for the repairs or do you need the loan payment to make it affordable. You will have to make that financial decision.

Are you asking if the shop “caused the failure” because of how they performed the service wrong or if your TCM tune and manually shifting the trans like it is a Manual contribute to the trans failure? Not sure how you drive the truck but at 150k miles of hard driving can strain the best of parts. Ask any track/off road person.

Is this a get my frustration off my chest because of the issues you are having and just venting or looking for somebody to tell you what you should do?

Is this the precursor to thread about your 3.5HO ate the turbo or other motor issues????

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll.

To be fair the post was to gain insight on what I can do. I am in no way trying to offload the vehicle on anyone. I am not getting ride of the old girl. I will just make the call to a local shop and get a number on a price for the diff internals to get replaced and etc. That may be cheaper than totally swapping my entire REAR.

As far as the tranny is called. I will do a fluid down and fluid up and filter and then I will remove my tune and let ford fittle with the TCM and and other TSBs that are necessary.

Thoughts?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well folks,

It happened. No, not my first three-some. The results are in, the rear differential bearing noise is indeed a failure. Ford said $3500. Additionally, the banging into 5th, 8th and a tiny bit of slippage into 8 to 9th gears is determined by Ford that my transmission is also nearing toast. They said $8300 for new transmission. The truck has 158,830 miles on it and its a 2017, the private party sale price is $32k. I do have a bit more to pay on it.

Help me figure out my options please:

1. I had work done at a local shop that has great reviews and I appreciate them. Question is, did they put the correct amount of fluid in the trans and diff? What leg do I have to stand on?
2. The trans can continue on for probably through the winter honestly I just need to drive it carefully. (under 100mph, no more manual shifting, remove the tune)
3. I found an entire rear end from a 2017 RAPTOR with 80k on it for $1300 shipped to the house. R&R wont be bad, my buddy has a 2500 sqft garage with a big boy lift and we can swap it in 8 hours.

I am bummed. I talk so much shit on here lol. AND MY SHIT BROKE.

View attachment 423787
Can you give us any in-site on your maintenance schedule and usage case ? I’m truly curious if you had these failures with the truck being super maintained and not a lot of off road abuse.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Transmission “nearing toast” is not a diagnosis. It sounds more like they took your shift complaints and just suggested a new transmission to see what you’d say. Dealer cost on the transmission assembly is $3800, so that’s a healthy profit margin for them.

As far as the differential bearings, the side bearings are $55 each, and the pinion bearings are $81 for the outer and $50 for the inner. Ask for an itemized list for the repair, $3500 is outrageous to replace bearings.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Transmission “nearing toast” is not a diagnosis. It sounds more like they took your shift complaints and just suggested a new transmission to see what you’d say. Dealer cost on the transmission assembly is $3800, so that’s a healthy profit margin for them.

As far as the differential bearings, the side bearings are $55 each, and the pinion bearings are $81 for the outer and $50 for the inner. Ask for an itemized list for the repair, $3500 is outrageous to replace bearings.
Was going to sat this also max for a re gear is like 1500 which includes new bearing and shims etc etc etc…

Regear front and rear with 4.88’s and an elocker up front wired to switch 4 and put 38’s and a stage 2 tune. Thats how you spend 12K.

Last edited: