The Georgia Traverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a portion of the eastern part of the trail. From just inside the South Carolina border through Charlie's Creek into Helen before heading back south towards Atlanta. That was just a few hours of exploring but it was amazing.

I'm very jealous of your adventures @Bozz.

OP
OP
Bozz

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
20210101_023230.JPG

We were surrounded on 3 sides at the camp spot by a shear 40-foot cliff all around. There were coyotes howling from the top for a couple of hours.

Then there were a bunch of massively large Razor-like atv's almost as big as a car with incredibly LOUD exhausts racing up and down the mountain until about 2 or 3am.

Then..... a "neighborhood" dog (there must have been a house close by) was running up and down the road barking NON-F'ing-STOP until daylight. He must have had a soar throat by the time he went home and went to bed at daylight. By the sound of him, he must have been HUGE. He surely kept any bears away, we saw tons of bear signs on the entire trip and bear-proof trash bins everywhere.

I had set up some motion-activated lights around camp and one of them was triggered at 3:30am. I bolted upright and sat there looking out the window for 10 minutes. Didn't see or hear anything. 5 minutes later it went off again. Then 5 minutes later. Then 5 more, then 5 more, then 5 more. ARRRRGGGHHH!!! WTF?!?!?! Totally silent. Then it started just going on and off, on and off. By that time I figured the battery must be dying, so I turned it off and finally got some sleep. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bozz

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I've done a portion of the eastern part of the trail. From just inside the South Carolina border through Charlie's Creek into Helen before heading back south towards Atlanta. That was just a few hours of exploring but it was amazing.

I'm very jealous of your adventures @Bozz.
Hey @badm0t0rfinger

We started from Dillard, GA, somewhat West of the SC start point. Wouldn't mind going back with others, but those first parts were crazy, not going to be doing that alone again.

Plus, I keep forgetting to mention, we had fully intended to air-down when we got to the trail head, but, it was getting dark when we first got there, so we never did. Things probably wouldn't have been so jolting if we had.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you started at Dillard and headed west then you absolutely hit Charlie's creek. I think there might be a bypass but it's wild out there. 1 way with very few points for passing traffic, and very steep on both sides like you said. That area is no joke, especially for a full sized truck.