The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackGhost_3

Reaction score
It would probably be easier to convert a regular F-150 to a Raptor like what was done here.

ADD_F150_to_Raptor.jpg

Raptor601

Reaction score
I would be absolutely excited for this truck if it had a V8 option. The V6 EcoBoost just kills me. I have the same EB in my wife's '13 Explorer Sport, its just not an engine I would want in a full size truck.

Please, Ford, please.

My wife's 14 explorer sport has the 3.5 eco and it is awesome...in that vehicle. When I converted from GMC my 12' Lariat Super crew had the eco boost and it was awesome in every aspect EXCEPT the exhaust note. The truck would pull the gates off of hell , run like a ***** ape but still sounded like a "coffee canned" Honda accord on everyone I heard with Exhaust. A Raptor with no V-8 just saddens me. I have had no regrets with my 14 model and have no intention of trading for a new one. Yes it looks good and will have fox 3.0s but at the end of the day you will basically have a truck that is badass in every aspect except how it sounds. A truck of that caliber should growl not howl. I really hope they rethink this in the future. If you want to ecoboost something lets do a 5.0 with twin turbos...now that would have most of us in line to trade in. On the other hand there is always the option of Supercharging our 6.2s ...... really though who wants to lose the 6.2 door emblem for 3.5.....I know I don't. This truck needs to keep the V8 ....period.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I don't think they'll offer an engine option on the Raptor, the 6.2 V-8 is still in production and used in the 2015 F250's. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility the next Raptor could keep the 6.2. And, if they added Direct Injection to the 6.2 there's no reason with the reduced weight of the aluminum body the 2017 Raptor could get better mpg and approach 450 HP easily enough.

Last edited:

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt they'd offer a V8 option the first year. They would be smarter to hold off till the 2018 MY. But if that article is correct Ford killing off the V8.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt they'd offer a V8 option the first year. They would be smarter to hold off till the 2018 MY. But if that article is correct Ford killing off the V8.

No, the 6.2 is still offered in the f250's. V8's aren't going away, they are just being used less.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford should've developed a small displacement V8. A 4.0L TTV8 making at least 500hp. They have the resources. They could've called that the EcoBeast.

Lets be honest here, everyone would STILL be butt hurt with a smaller v8. Why? Because 4.0 or 5.0 is smaller than 6.2, simple as that. Its a machoism thing around these parts.

People dont care that the NEW ecoboost has more power or torque. They wont care if it proves to be 100x more reliable than the 6.2. They dont care if it sounds amazing with an aftermarket exhaust. They dont care to take a bunch of weight off the front end of their trucks.

People rag on guys with big trucks and say they are compensating for something. Well, this whole crying about the ecoboost vs the 6.2 because its a smaller motor doesnt help that argument one bit.

Last edited: