The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand the fascination with the extra two cylinders.

From what I understand, this engine shares more with the new Ford GT than it does any previous ecoboost.

If it makes a lot of power and makes a nice sound, what's the difference?

My car has a V8... but I would take a turbo V6 in a heartbeat if it made more torque, power and was more efficient to boot. I guess it's just some machismo thing, or some deeply rooted automotive prejudice? :shrug:

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many years ago when was a wee lad, I asked an old Porsche tech a question about a particular motor swap.

He tilted his head a little, scratched his chin, and said "Son, you could put a windshield wiper on a billy goats ass... but I don't know why you'd want too."

Talk to me about the flat plane motor out of the GT350 though. I might be looking for billy goat brackets. :)

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand the fascination with the extra two cylinders.

From what I understand, this engine shares more with the new Ford GT than it does any previous ecoboost.

If it makes a lot of power and makes a nice sound, what's the difference?

My car has a V8... but I would take a turbo V6 in a heartbeat if it made more torque, power and was more efficient to boot. I guess it's just some machismo thing, or some deeply rooted automotive prejudice? :shrug:

No, it's previous experience with boosted platforms, or ecoboosts in general.
Combine that with experience using the raptor on runs in demanding conditions and you see the value in a high power, naturally aspirated motor.
Gm's ls series would be ideal in a raptor.

Charley821

Reaction score
Neutered

Ford neutered the Raptor.

You're never going to get 650 HP out of this ecogarbage no matter what you do to it. This thing needs to be rolled on its top with a few of the Smart Cars in San Francisco.

Last edited:

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sales don't lie. EB's were selling HUGE and now they're adjusting to the market.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

For large volume sales like the f150, it will always involve gas mileage, and smaller displacement is the only option. But performance based vehicle is focused percentage more torwards power then mpg, and thats displacement. I can't see why they couldn't keep the v8 for the top performance models.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Honestly, I bet its all based on the bean counters. If they can eliminate the v8 line and just pump out the 3.5's, that would be some massive savings, which transfers to the performance division. Can't have one without removing the other.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason a v8 can't be offered. If you actually look at the truck CAFE standards and the real world EPA Window Sticker, Ford only has to increase the fleet 5 mpg from 18 mpg to 23 mph by 2025 on the combined EPA Window Sticker number (7 mpg increase for the CAFE number). The CAFE number of 54.5 is actually only around 36 mpg per the EPA Window Sticker number for the entire lineup.

And on top of that the large truck section (ie F150 category) only has to go up 1 mpg by 2021 and that occurs in 2016 (18 to 19 mpg sticker number).

Last edited: