Strange clunk from front driver side area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of the "clunks" I have heard come from the lower control arm bolts or the shock mounting bolts. Checked to see if these are all tight.

Will do. Not sure I have the torque specs nor a torque wrench that goes that high, but I can at least identify something too loose and go from there. I suspect the torque setting is about two grunts with my breaker bar. I'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if I find that and the dealership missed it though!

BANE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 2010 came in today with a clunk type nois and it was the passenger side lca bolts

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be examining the bolts tomorrow. Hopefully I find something. I'm pretty irritated about this. Moreso I'm worried that I'll get out into the dunes for a planned trip in July and instantly have a problem which takes me out of commission.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My after market upper control arms collar come loose. caused clunking. thought it was the ball joints but only to discover it was loose

18303878128_90b18d70b1_q.jpg

D

Deleted member 12951

The factory LCA bolt torque is 406lb*ft but I have ICON 3.0's up front. Is that same bolt only 120lb*ft? Big difference, so just wanting to confirm.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My after market upper control arms collar come loose. caused clunking. thought it was the ball joints but only to discover it was loose

That's what happened to me and it did not affect my alignment at all, I tightened it up and went to the shop figuring it had to be out but nope. It took a min to figure out where the hell it was coming from, I had just replaced my UCA, tie rods, ball joints and coilovers so I knew it was not something wore out.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The factory LCA bolt torque is 406lb*ft but I have ICON 3.0's up front. Is that same bolt only 120lb*ft? Big difference, so just wanting to confirm.

Correct the bolt for the icon is way smaller and therefore can't be torqued as high. You can try but it will end poorly!

OP
OP
Dane

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, everything's been checked. Everything is torqued correctly. It's the shock making the noise, which is "normal". So, my two rear shocks constantly chirp and my front driver's side shock clunks loud enough to sound like a balljoint (you can feel it, not just hear it), but the dealer can reproduce the noise and this is normal (even though my passenger side is quiet). And I just get to live with it like that.

@FordService - This sound right? Apparently there's a bulletin, so that makes this all OK.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...@FordService - This sound right? Apparently there's a bulletin, so that makes this all OK.

Hi Dane,

Let's get your regional customer service manager to weigh in on this. Since we've been in touch before, just PM me a verification of your best daytime phone number, current mileage, and the dealer you've been working with. I'll take it from there.

Crystal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc