Stock stereo dead, what now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2010 non-nav stereo is dead. Nothing except "Sound Designed by Sony", compass, exterior temp and HVAC temps that show on the top center screen. There was a Gatorade incident in mid 2012. I disassembled the dash and cleaned what I could. No problems until recently except for occasional sticking of the 9 and 0 buttons. It died a couple weeks ago and came back to life on its own, once. I have checked all fuses and pulled battery cables overnight with no success. So, unless it turns into a zombie, I have pronounced it dead.

Let me say, I am not an audiophile. I do listen to the radio, CDs, thumb drive music and Ham radio through the line in port. Loudness and excellent acoustics aren't near my priorities. The stock system worked just fine for me. Barely used SYNC, just to find favorite songs on the thumb drive thingy. Sometimes I use Bluetooth with the phone.

What I am looking at;
Amazon.com : Kenwood DDX-371 2-Din Multimedia DVD Receiver : Electronics

Amazon.com : Radio Stereo Install Dash Kit (single and double din) + Steering control wiring + canbus wire harness + antenna adapter for Ford F Series XLT - Platnium Pickup without Navigation F150 (09-2012), f250 (2008-12), F350 (08 09 10 11 12), F45

Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics

Also would add USB relocating cable to near the stock place and a backup camera. Maybe a front camera or two through a mini jack.
To make it more Ham friendly I want to use Hear HAM/CB through factory or non-factory speakers in your off road vehicle. as well. I don't know if Audio Interrupt for Ford 2003-Up non amplified would work because it is an amplified system, stock.

I am not afraid of hacking into the stock harness if I have to, just would like to avoid it if I can. Why don't I buy "X" instead and have it installed by a professional? I am a cheap son of a bitch and I do not want to pay for stuff I won't use, that's why. That and I am competent and like to do my own work too. I just don't understand entirely how the stock system and SYNC and the amps all work together in this truck.

Will these choices make for a mostly plug and play operation?
What becomes of the stock amplifier under the console?
Would the Audio Interrupt universal be wired before the stock amp if still there?
What about the Sony subwoofer?
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the stock system I could get a copy of?
Noah?

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
PLEASE do a write up when you install this!! This is the exact route I would go, if I was in your situation.

OP
OP
phydough

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
PLEASE do a write up when you install this!! This is the exact route I would go, if I was in your situation.

I'll give it a shot. Write ups on '09-'12 F150 stereo installs are few and far between. Still researching and learning, so it may be a while.