GEN 1 Steering Rack Replacment - Notes and Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No....damn you for letting me know I left money on the table! :fail:

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

[/COLOR @Hole Shot did you view my video? Is there something I can do to remedy that problem? I removed the boots, but really didn't see anything to grease.

@Hole Shot

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yea I've been outta work for a couple months thanks for the quote but not in the cards right now but my whole ps system will be getting replaced and reworked when I get back on my feet.

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Hole Shot do you have any insight on if my issue can be remedied without replacing the rack? Any suggestions to try before I remove it? Couldn't really see anything to grease when I removed the boots. Video in this thread

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Hole Shot do you have any insight on if my issue can be remedied without replacing the rack? Any suggestions to try before I remove it? Couldn't really see anything to grease when I removed the boots. Video in this thread
Yea that sounds horrible! You can try and spray some lube on the shafts and grease the splines under the left boot to see if it quiets down. Check the tq on the mounting bolts. You said you already replaced tie rod ends correct? That could be an issue also. Have some one turn the wheel while you are under the truck and try to put your hand on the cause of the vibration. Take the boots off while you do this so you can see/feel if the rod ends are the culprit. I wouls suspect if you take the boots off you will be able to see the shafts moving up and down in their holes. That is a sign the bushings are bad. Also look for cracks on the cast part of the rack.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hit me up before you change the rack. You need to bleed it good so you don't end up blowing the pump also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you use WINTERSAVE30 and get an extra $30 off? That was the best coupon I could find unless you found one better?

I am really only looking at getting one to carry as a spare. Looking at a pair of axles too but they don't have those for a raptor.

@Chris@FreedomMotorsports has a set of spare axles I believe... would be cool if he was headed south with yeah... :win:

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Hole Shot since you've done this so many times, where do you suggest getting PS pumps from? Mine is whining badly and I want to order one soon.

I'd go to your local ford dealer to get one. Be real nice and chatty so they rember you. Bring some doughnuts or something because their is a one year warranty on the pumps. stick the receipt somewhere safe. You will probably need it. Again make sure you bleed the system Really well!!!