Shelby Raptor- 575 HP Debut today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just scanned this thread and I am surprised no one noticed that the red truck unveiled at the NY auto show is in fact a 2012. Look at the headlights. You would think they would atleast mod a 2013.

me-shelby-raptor-7_1035.jpg

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[SARCASM]You got me. I totally bought both my iPhone and Macbook Pro with Retina Display and then spent an extra 36% on each of them for some colorful stickers and more RAM.[/SARCASM]

Shelby added straight line performance and appearance changes to a vehicle who's main claim to fame is increased offroad capability.

I respect your opinion and I think there is certainly the opportunity for someone to make an awesome offroad Raptor. Shelby, Roush and others have mostly focused on speed - probably because that is where the money/customers are (I assume they have done some market research). And Shelby isn't a name that is going to sell a lot of vehicles to off-road die-hards.

And yes, you reminded me that the people who buy overpriced Apple devices also buy overpriced accessories with overpriced music. Probably a good analogy with the Shelby stickers.

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a diehard Shelby guy. I came home from the hospital in the 68 GT350 my dad gave me, and still own, I traded my 08 GT500 in on my first Raptor and I grew up in the Northwoods and Colorado Shelby clubs going to drag races, Road America and other various events.

That being said I thought for a while (apparently only superficially) how cool it would be to have a Shelby Raptor, but I honestly feel this truck missed the mark. I almost would rather see a wide body high horsepower lightning Raptor mix than as previous posters illustrated, the next generation Shelby Dakota.

I am not sure what Shelby could have done to make this truck better, IMHO the more I think about it, its never been their demographic. Maybe a Stewarts Raptor, Rob MacCachren Raptor or something similar would have been a better custom.

I have Walker Wheels (net 0 cost after selling my stock 13 wheels) a supercharger under $7k with boost guage and hood graphic ~$150. My favorite part I took off my 10 to put on my 13 was my backlit SVT logo in my fender which is covered by the Shelby badge. I saved $10k I guess.

I only wish Shelby American well, my guess this package won't last long.
Dennis

EternalChampion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The graphics look hideous. Unless you're crowned with a full mullet, acid washed jeans, and Jethro Tull blaring from the "upgraded" Kenwood system, there is no way this appeals to anyone sane.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, figure 10k for SC and exhaust, 4k for interior and gauges, it leaves Shelby about 4k for graphics and badging, so its not crazy money. For owning a Shelby, I actually think its not bad pricing.

The man is dead and had nothing to do with this. This is not is good value at all and I know you are a big Shelby guy but this one is for the posers / street queen boys with too much money period end of story.

Shelby as usual is going for the easy money----could have made the truck 500 hp the real way. S/C is the easy way to do things and it works to a certain extent on the street-----case in point the new Z28. THAT is going to eat up the Cobra in a nice Texas summer romp on the track of your choice....

Phill Pollard

Reaction score
Hmmm, Method wheels/BFG MTs as an option...
Get a set of Methods/BFG MTs from TMX = $2,300
Get a set of Methods/BFG MTs from Shelby = $3,400
But hey, the Shelby does have custom center caps!! :hahano:

Hey guys, I'm new to this game (modern wheelin') so be gentle...I grew up with a dad who owned a CJ-6 and belonged to the Santa Maria (CA) 4 wheelers and spent most summer holidays (memorial day, july 4th & labor day) in the Pismo Dunes with more trips than I can count on fireroads and trails all over the Sierra Mountain range of CA. I owned my own '67 Chevy Shortbed/fleetside C-10 4x4 (283, 3 on the tree) in my late 20's but just got back into a four-by when I bought my 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch, that I promptly traded in on my 2012 F-150 Raptor (I know, STOOPID move that cost me $20K). I went in to talk about buying a Raptor, walked past a KR being prepped for sale and fell in love with the 2-tone interior. Anyway....

Having said that, I *really* like the Shelby (beadlock) wheels vs. the Ford Racing version and knowing Shelby, realize they don't make their own stuff but likely have someone making proprietary wheels for them (ala, the Alcoa Dura-bright GT500KR and Super Snake wheels).

Now I see someone saying they know the wheel. And who makes it. But like I said, I'M NEW to this so the name means jack to me.

My basic question is, who/what/where can I find these wheels?

As far as my perspective of the Shelby Raptor;

Personally, for once I don't think Shelby is way out of line with the Raptor (price wise). I *DO* with the Focus and I *DO* with the Super Snake but I think $17K plus some change isn't *that* bad for what you get (relative to the Roush and I have not seen the Hennesey).

I am a little confused in that Shelby offers a Whipple 2.9L (polished in the brochure, not clear if that's included or extra) vs the Roush RS2300 TVS, and I'm a BIG Roush fan! But Shelby is getting considerably less HP out of a lager capacity SC...Which tells *me* there is WAY more potential with the Shelby vs. the Roush offering. The bottom end is why I suspect Shelby stopped at the HP level they did. Roush, being a "Ford Dealer" can offer the OE 3/36 factory warranty intact whereas I don't believe Shelby can.

As far as the comment "$18K for a supercharger" is concerned: That's one of my biggest critiques of the Super Snake. They literally unbolt the OEM Eaton and bolt on a FRPP TVS, Whipple or Kenne Bell where with the Raptor, it's not just a matter of unbolting one and bolting on another. It's a whole lot more work and material. It needs a new intake manifold, adding the Intercooler heat exchanger, radiator, pump, SC drive pulley/s, etc. etc. etc. That's VERY labor intensive (something *most* guys wouldn't attempt to do in their driveway) vs. a few hours to bolt on a bigger SC as with the Super Snake (along with a aftermarket suspension and hood).

My point is, I am NOT one of the "fan boys" you see running around trying to firmly affix my lips to the buttocks of Carroll Shelby or Shelby American (or an associate/employee thereof) and I still think it's a 'decent' deal. In fact, I was so un-enthused with Shelby's business practice of not allowing anything but a BLACK stripe on the SS in 2010 and earlier (I bought a Kona Blue car with a WHITE stripe for a reason...BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I WANTED) that I literally said '****-off' and more or less built my own 'Super Snake' (sans the hood, and plus a whole bunch more, for CONSIDERABLY less than a Super Snake that has less mods). Sorry, I went off on a tangent with my usual and typical rant again; ;)

Anyway, back to the Raptor:

They (Shelby American) give you a VERY nice looking interior package vs Roush emblazoned headrests. I figure that's worth about $4K if you had to go out and get one done yourself.

They give you a lager capacity Whipple 2.9L SC vs the Roush 2.3L SC.

Vent-mounted gauges (still trying to find out just what gaugeS they add).

Exhaust: Borla vs. Roush. I like the Roush myself but I've seen people here that prefer the Borla (both are GREAT companies IMO). It's kind of like Ford vs. Chevy.

I do agree with the graphics gripes, to a point. They are a *little* overboard for me (but not TOO OB for me) and frankly after paying what I paid for my factory Side/Hood graphics I'd hate to lose them for the Shelby version. I'd like it if Shelby allowed a "stripe delete" (like Roush does) and let me keep my OEM graphics, like Roush will. The "Roush Off-Road" bed sticker would be plenty enough for me (albeit saying "Shelby Off-Road" instead of Roush) vs. the 3 offerings they provide now, and removing my factory graphics.

I'm not sure if the rear window banner is included on the SR or not, I have that question posted on the Team Shelby forum right now. I'd love to see Shelby add a Shelby Windshield banner to all of their cars...Like Roush (and Saleen, and, and, and....) does.

The fender vent logo....Ehhhhh, I could live without that but at least it's not cheesy.

And again, I *really* like those wheels. I'm still trying to find out if you get to keep your stock/OE wheels or if Shelby keeps them, or charges a core charge if you want them (they started keeping the take-off parts with the 2012+ Super Snake upfits). That could dramatically affect the "price perspective" of the Shelby, losing a set of new or near new Wheels and Tires.

All in all, I think Shelby is right in line (competitive) with Roush, comparatively speaking. And like I said, I haven't seen a Hennesy but someone on TS mentioned another company (three letters, I think the first was "R") and I don't know who that is or what it is either.

What's the biggest beef with the Shelby Raptor here on FRF? It doesn't appear, from this thread that there is one major issue but rather a few smaller ones, amongst different people.

I swore I wouldn't drop a bunch of money on my Raptor and now here I am thinking hard about getting one (Shelby OR Roush).

Enough from me,

Phill Pollard

Pax Regis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was very excited to the the debut of this truck. Very disappointed with the reality. No one who does their research and knows their truck will fork out this kind of money for this version. Buy stock and do the mods yourself a la carte and save $$$$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD