Searching for Gen 1, first time buyer could use a few pointers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snuggles

Reaction score
Like StangGT5 said, the width is the biggest "issue" you would have with either truck.

I also went with a Gen1 and love it. While this has been beaten to death, I'll list my primary considerations:
- Bulletproof V8. The base of this engine is in a lot of the work trucks that see abuse and very high mileage.
- I had a bad experience a few months prior with an ecoboost v6 turbo going out at 60k. This mystery led me down a rabbit hole of seeing how many gremlins turbo engines (and earlier ecoboost) have. Nearly all of that has been sorted now, but I am nervous about earlier ecoboost engines.
-Cost. Both upfront and long term maintenance should be lower with the Gen1 - assuming you find a well maintained truck and are comparing "apples to apples".

Buyers remorse items over not getting a Gen2:
- Interior is nicer by a lot. Although the stereo can be harder to upgrade depending on the year.
- Gen1 is heavier, and you can feel it.
- I get comically bad gas mileage since I work from home and mostly drive around town. I do have a throaty v8 with exhaust and 37" MT's though...

The other day I saw a nice Gen2 with exhaust and it sounded.. um.. I'll bite my tongue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like StangGT5 said, the width is the biggest "issue" you would have with either truck.

I also went with a Gen1 and love it. While this has been beaten to death, I'll list my primary considerations:
- Bulletproof V8. The base of this engine is in a lot of the work trucks that see abuse and very high mileage.
They’re good engines. Although valve spring failures aren’t common, they’re well documented, and they result in engine failure. Nothing is “bulletproof”.
- I had a bad experience a few months prior with an ecoboost v6 turbo going out at 60k. This mystery led me down a rabbit hole of seeing how many gremlins turbo engines (and earlier ecoboost) have. Nearly all of that has been sorted now, but I am nervous about earlier ecoboost engines.
Turbochargers don’t “go out”, period. They’re lubricated and cooled by oil and coolant, just like any other engine component. What engine are you referring to?
-Cost. Both upfront and long term maintenance should be lower with the Gen1 - assuming you find a well maintained truck and are comparing "apples to apples".
Both require regular maintenance and oil changes. There is no difference.
The other day I saw a nice Gen2 with exhaust and it sounded.. um.. I'll bite my tongue.
I do the same when I hear a Gen 1 trying to impress anyone by making a lot of noise while going nowhere. Apparently you’ve never heard a 6.2 with an aftermarket exhaust; they’re nothing but rasp and drone, they sound absolutely horrible especially with an LTs. Cylinder number is not indicative of engine sound.

Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I pulled oil samples from the engine, trans, and rear diff when buying both my 2012 3.5 ecoboost and my 2011 6.2L Raptor. Sent them to Blackstone Labs and got a detailed report of their condition... turns out the Raptor needed a trans rebuild. That was a $2500 "surprise" that might have been avoided if I had dealt with a local seller instead of one 600 miles away.