SDHQ LED Bumper Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eagle Keeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a very busy two weeks I finally found the time to get it installed! Some of you might not remember but I won the SDHQ military give away (see this http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?2768-A-SDHQ-give-back-to-our-military-personal...).

Here is the before picture!

SDHQBumper001-1.jpg

My son removing the skid plate. He might be 10 but you need to start wrenching some time!

SDHQBumper004-1.jpg

Once you get the skidplate removed you can see the mounts for the factory bumper.

SDHQBumper008.jpg

SDHQBumper007.jpg

Rather than removing the main mount nuts I removed the 10, 10mm bolts that hold the bumper "skin" to the mounts. If you choose to go straight to the mounts make sure you remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the hood release bracket on. Otherwise you could damage the front painted piece that runs just below the grill. These pictures show the "skin" removed and the bumper support structures still installed. Also don't forget to put some tape on to protect the painted piece above the bumper.

SDHQBumper011.jpg

SDHQBumper013.jpg

SDHQBumper012.jpg

After that it makes it easy to remove the main mount nuts and drop the brackets without damaging the paint!

SDHQBumper015.jpg

After that it's just a matter of bolting up the LED bumper. You will need to drill two holes per side but you want to get the other bolts in the factory holes tight before you start drilling.

SDHQBumper016.jpg

This is after the additional holes are drilled and all the mount bolts installed. Also the support brackets for the hood release mechanism is installed.

SDHQBumper019.jpg

Now you can put the factory skid plate back on.

SDHQBumper018.jpg

Make sure when you install the skidplate that comes with the bumper you attach the air diverter to the three bolts in the skid plate. Then sit back and enjoy!!

SDHQBumper023.jpg

SDHQBumper022.jpg

SDHQBumper021.jpg

Let me know if anyone needs additional pictures or if you need a more detailed explanation. And once again I want to thank the guys at SDHQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good. Does it feel sturdy enough to withstand an impact (I'm use to the ARB bumper on my FJ80)? What's you thoughts on painting it? It looks pretty close to the shade of the fender flares.

Someone an FSU fan?

OP
OP
Eagle Keeper

Eagle Keeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Does it feel sturdy enough to withstand an impact (I'm use to the ARB bumper on my FJ80)? What's you thoughts on painting it? It looks pretty close to the shade of the fender flares.

Someone an FSU fan?

That thing is WAY sturdy! There is no flex in it at all.

It's powder coated to come as close as possible to the gray on the fenders and the coating is very tuff@!@

He hates FSU the shirt was a hand me down. If you look at the pictures twords the end he put a piece of tape over the FSU emblem!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very very nice! Congratulations again EK, and way to freaking go SDHQ!

And thoughts on specific tow point(s)? Or do you think pretty much anywhere toward the bottom area would work?