Rush hour traffic + Raptor shifting = crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be something in the ECU that causes it because after installing the 5star tune on mine the throttle would stick open to 3500-4000 rpm. Made for some fun moments! (Holy toyota) They sent me an upgraded version & it eliminated that problem. Mine still has the quirky throttle around town though. Trailer mode does help.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Considering that the truck has a fly by wire throttle, I’d be looking at that.
If the actuator or the throttle is sticking, force will build and suddenly go from a closed to a partially open position; and the truck lurches forward. It would also confuse the tranny controller.

OP
OP
Mayhem

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha ha ha wait till ya drive a 8 speed!!! Anytime im anywhere traffic is i use tow haul mode... gears are so low thats why...

Mayhem mine did it a bit when I was in the mid 30k km's. More annoying was the lack of downshift at a rolling stop - truck wanted to start off in 3rd gear...

But I am familiar with the 'lurch' as you described it. I had thought it was an electronic issue - computer sending too much fuel or something, but the techs never found a trouble code on the truck.

It became a safety issue a couple of times, when trying to stop on a snow or ice covered road - the lurch puts out more torque than the ABS can handle to stop forward movement. I never hit anything, but did go through more than one stop sign.

I had the transmission fluid changed at 40km and it made a huge difference. Driving in T/H mode all the time I bet I only had it occur once or twice for the next 20km I put on that truck.

Perhaps try that and see if it works for you?

Don't think I need an 8 spd :p I Haven't tried using T/H mode, is there any downside to using that in regular daily driving? I'll check it out. Have the same lack of downshift problem, but it's so frequent that my driving habits are now reflecting all of this stuff.... as I'm constantly covering the brake.

i drive off road, on road, traffic ect.... all in M mode. Coming from a BMW with a tiptronic i loved it and use it on the raptor! Plus any time i am in 1st or 2nd and lighty step on the gas my exhaust pops like a b*tch!
I reall hate driving auto...

i have yet to try to drive in tow haul mode.

Yeah, I wish we had the M mode in our 2010's... (Or better yet just a true Manual).

theres a TSB on this, found in this thread http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/rough-shifting-10949/ im gonna have mine done too probably in the next week. from Humvee's post

as i said in that thread, mine was built 9-21-11, and i get the harsh shifting in stop n go traffic.

Interesting.. My trucks gotta go in for the next maintenance in the next few days so I'll have em look into that, see if it doesn't help me out.

I still have to get the "clunk" resolved at some point.... unfortunately I've been unable to produce it infront of the dealership tech's....

My truck does the same thing in parking lots. It's like it sticks at high idle. Another thing, when you come to a stop does it feel like the torque converter doesn't fully disengage? Like the truck is fighting against the brakes and causes a rough idle while sitting at a light.

Yep, Same boat.

Considering that the truck has a fly by wire throttle, I’d be looking at that.
If the actuator or the throttle is sticking, force will build and suddenly go from a closed to a partially open position; and the truck lurches forward. It would also confuse the tranny controller.

Interesting, but a little beyond my knowledge ! But I'll mention anything I can to the tech's if it might help.

Speaking of wires though... I constantly get a smell in the cabin that smells like burning wires? Forgot about that... Comes and goes from time to time.. Usually in higher gears @ highway speeds.

Guess I gotta make some notes to bring into the dealership... Tend to forget everything I wanted to say when I finally get there.