Rumor: The Ford F-150 Raptor Is Getting the Mustang GT500's Supercharged V-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really disagreeing entirely w/ ya, I do think Ford's going to put a V8 in it, but I do NOT think they'll simultaneously cut out the 3.5.....I would believe in a scenario where they produce both the 3.5 & 5.2 versions of the Raptor side by side for a couple years after refining the 5.2 & either updating the 3.5 or replacing it entirely (maybe w/ the 3.0 mentioned)

I'd be tempted to do the same thing on trade if the gas mileage isn't outrageous......course, you do realize the irony of complaining about issues w/ an engine that has been produced in MASSIVE quantities for a decade+ & refined/updated year after year & then jumping @ the opportunity to buy a brand new design SC'd DOHC V8 from the SAME MANUFACTURER you've been complaining about that has been focusing MUCH more on boosted 4's & 6's

See what I'm saying? I'd feel MUCH safer buying a blown V8 truck from GM or Dodge than from Ford, why? Cuz they've been making them in larger quantities & have a simpler design (save the AFM shit). Why get all fired up about a new 5.2 Raptor, wait a year or 2 after it debuts (if it does) & see what kinda issues they have. Why be the guinea pig?

I was a guinea pig for GM On their ecotec 5.3/6.2 as well as the 8L90 slushbox. No thanks.
Actually, the V8 is loosing ground and Ecoboost take rate is climbing.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/08/v8-market-share-just-quarter-ford-f150-lineup/

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for healthy conversation on this!!!!!
What I will say is that Ford has tons of supercharged experience. Look at all the years of Cobra, Lightning and Shelby. They know how to do it well. I am not afraid of it.
In contrast, the 3.5 ecoboost has had it's fair share of problems from the get go. What makes me mad is that these problems I have were evident many years ago. Shame on Ford for letting it go, and shame on me for being an idiot and not investigating the history of this engine.

I really do feel for you. It must suck to get a new truck that has lots of problems. But I really think you must have just gotten a lemon. There are way too many of us that have 30,000++ miles without a single issue! I would sell yours NOW, and look for a used one to have until 2021 or 2022 and then maybe upgrade to a v8 if they make one.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But I really think you must have just gotten a lemon. There are way too many of us that have 30,000++ miles without a single issue! .

Truth...

My 13 SHO eco boost 3.5 was flawless for 55,*** miles
my wife's 14 Explorer Sport eco boost 3.5 was flawless for 110,*** miles

Brother in laws current 13 F-150 eco boost 3.5 is flawless @ 125,*** miles.
My current 18 raptor is flawless @ 8,*** miles
My wife's current 18 explorer sport is flawless @ 8,*** miles

I have a combined 306,*** miles over the last 7 years with this motor and have not had a single issue on the cars personal to me.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt I feel your pain - but again, coming from GM to Ford trucks, believe me the grass is always greener on the other side til you start digging & find all the grubs!!

Ford has experience on SC'd V8's for sure, but not the same kinda voluminous recent experience that Dodge & especially GM has had. CTS-V's/ZL1's/ZR1's/Z06's etc. For example though....I would buy a C6 ZR1 non DI non AFM blown V8 way WAY before I'd dive in the "new" DI blown AFM hardware 6.2 like in the C6Z - don't wanna be guinea pig for ANY new engine design from ANY manufacturer. Look at Toyota...they're so damn scared of making changes that result in unexpected reliability issues they just keep chugging along w/ the same design from that began R&D probably back in '03-'04!!!

As far as the potential new 5.2 SC'd Raptor you go first & report back to me/us on the reliability over 20k miles then I may follow suit!!!!

Have a good weekend & enjoy what you got for now!

I am definitely going to report back - excited on the purchase!

Jazzercise can shove it up his peehole:3639243774_5f528137

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really do feel for you. It must suck to get a new truck that has lots of problems. But I really think you must have just gotten a lemon. There are way too many of us that have 30,000++ miles without a single issue! I would sell yours NOW, and look for a used one to have until 2021 or 2022 and then maybe upgrade to a v8 if they make one.

Don't fall for this guy's shit. He's been trolling this site for years and has been banned under countless aliases. His first handle was Sasquatch77 and is what most of us still refer to him as. He's a pathological liar and is obsessed with bashing the Ecoboost. If he spent half as much time working as he does trolling, he could afford a real Raptor instead of just pretending.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't fall for this guy's shit. He's been trolling this site for years and has been banned under countless aliases. His first handle was Sasquatch77 and is what most of us still refer to him as. He's a pathological liar and is obsessed with bashing the Ecoboost. If he spent half as much time working as he does trolling, he could afford a real Raptor instead of just pretending.

I know.....

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It is funny that you would associate anyone who disagrees with you or questions anything as being a sasquatch. You might be the troll.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt I feel your pain - but again, coming from GM to Ford trucks, believe me the grass is always greener on the other side til you start digging & find all the grubs!!

Ford has experience on SC'd V8's for sure, but not the same kinda voluminous recent experience that Dodge & especially GM has had. CTS-V's/ZL1's/ZR1's/Z06's etc. For example though....I would buy a C6 ZR1 non DI non AFM blown V8 way WAY before I'd dive in the "new" DI blown AFM hardware 6.2 like in the C6Z - don't wanna be guinea pig for ANY new engine design from ANY manufacturer. Look at Toyota...they're so damn scared of making changes that result in unexpected reliability issues they just keep chugging along w/ the same design from that began R&D probably back in '03-'04!!!

As far as the potential new 5.2 SC'd Raptor you go first & report back to me/us on the reliability over 20k miles then I may follow suit!!!!

Have a good weekend & enjoy what you got for now!
I drive the **** out of a C7Z, no issues. They had troubles with the cooling system early on in the automatics, and Ford would also need to address cooling. But it's easily doable. It would make for a truck that I would happily jump back on the Raptor train for. I drove the EB version and it just didn't do it for me. At least not at the price point these things go for. This would definitely change that.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is funny that you would associate anyone who disagrees with you or questions anything as being a sasquatch. You might be the troll.

Hmmmm, a brand new profile, nearly 60 posts already, and almost all of them criticizing the Ecoboost engine. Don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this one out.

Wonder how long it will take before you get banned for what, the fifth time? Sixth? I have a hard time keeping track because it happens so often. Unfortunately, like ******, there is no getting rid of you.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

SL75, please point to the part of the doll where the cam phaser'ed Raptor touched you.

Capture.JPG