Rumor: The Ford F-150 Raptor Is Getting the Mustang GT500's Supercharged V-8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Gen 1s were junk imo, ‘17 - ‘18 Gen 2s are great, 19s are best. For now. If they build this mythical “Super Raptor” I’ll buy it. In the meantime, why get wrapped up in “what if’s”? Buy the best one you can afford, mod it, and drive the hell out of it!
WHAT!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They sell just fine because of the marketing trickery. However, I am not sure can afford the warranty side. Many of us have cam phaser rattling engines, plus there was the plastic oil pan dilemma, and then the updated valve covers, and the list goes on. Based on what's happening, that doesn't sound like a winning, money making approach. Based on the articles out there, the only place you will get a 3.5 ecoboost going forward is some f150 (non-raptor), and the expedition and navi.

LOL - I'm a GM guy driving a Ford now & this makes me laugh my **** off! Hhahhaha - dude, people go on forums for a handful of reasons, one of the most prolific being shit talking and/or troubleshooting an issue w/ a vehicle. Ford sells more of these engines than anything else, go on to Tundra/Ram/GM truck forums you'll see all kinds of issues & complaints that'll make you think nobody can make a decent truck these days (well....that's sorta kinda true, let's just say they're all a little imperfect eh?)

Every damn lincoln has the 3.5 ecoboost as an option it seems, I suppose you're forgetting the relaunched Aviator running same powertrain as our Raptors?

Regardless - just like I said previously, I am extremely confident should Ford actually bring this to market they'll price it as a halo type vehicle no different than a Trackhawk, M car, Hellcat/Demon, etc. & just like all those other brands they'll offer a less extreme/lower powered version w/ the same idea. Moves more units makes them more $$$$ The market for a 450hp 15mpg $60-75k truck isn't huge, but its decent sized - the market for a 700hp 10mpg super truck? Not so big.

As far as "not being able to afford the warranty side" - again, you need to experience some other brands. GM produced a 5-6 year run of trucks they KNEW had vibration/NVH issues, they KNEW had a "patch job" tranny that was only temporary, they KNEW had high AFM/lifter failure rate, they KNEW had torque converter problems & they 1000000% KNEW/KNOW that EVERY single truck built in the first 3-4 years of that model run had the wrong type & amount of tranny fluid. They just sit on their hands waiting for warranty claims & mitigate them as much as possible. I had 3 of em.

Let me ask you this, if you were a business owner. Would you rather sell 300,000 3.5 EB Raptors w/ avg. MSRP of $66,000 or 50,000 5.2 super Raptors w/ avg MSRP of $80,000?

The delta between what people would be willing to pay & what they could charge for a 3.5 vs. a 5.2 is too great. There is NO WAY they won't jack the price up big time & no way they could ever entice enough people to part w/ that kinda money for what is essentially a "super truck" toy that brings "impractical" to a whole new level.

You know what the best selling truck is in China (now the largest car market in the world btw)? Its the Raptor. You know what WONT be the best selling truck in China? A 700hp Raptor. They'll still sell em for sure, just not @ the same kinda volume. No where near it. I've been to China 4x - every time their middle class gets bigger, they want more luxury items, but there's no getting around the traffic & fuel/insurance costs (plus govt regs for engine size) - these are probably things you didn't consider. But consider this - Mercedes sells plenty of S class sedans in China too - but they're equipped w/ 6 cylinder engines.

They will continue to make the HO 3.5 & will produce it alongside the 5.2 if it ever comes to fruition. It's all about marketing & moving units - it sounds messed up, but if there wasn't a Mustang GT, you could only go from turbo 4 to a GT500 or 350, Ford would have a much harder time selling the GT500/350 @ the prices they do. Likewise, the incentive to "step up" & shell out big bucks for a 5.2 Raptor will be less when that's the only one available, you can charge more when you have a "B model" cost of entry.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ao you’re saying the 3.5eb is so unreliable that Ford decided to use it in only their most premium models? You realize how retarded you sound? If this isn’t proof you’re the troll formally known as Sasquatch I don’t know what is.

No, I am just saying that the 3.5 eco is only available in those platforms going forward. Since it was pulled from the other platforms, maybe it means Ford is running down the supply.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ton of parts in box ready to go. Cat back, Turbo adapters, Afe intake and mishimoto pipe and intercooler kit and plan to get MPT tune. I bought the extended aftermarket warranty so hoping someone will cover truck if it breaks lol.

If you installed that stuff, your extended warranty won't be worth anything.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL - I'm a GM guy driving a Ford now & this makes me laugh my **** off! Hhahhaha - dude, people go on forums for a handful of reasons, one of the most prolific being shit talking and/or troubleshooting an issue w/ a vehicle. Ford sells more of these engines than anything else, go on to Tundra/Ram/GM truck forums you'll see all kinds of issues & complaints that'll make you think nobody can make a decent truck these days (well....that's sorta kinda true, let's just say they're all a little imperfect eh?)

Every damn lincoln has the 3.5 ecoboost as an option it seems, I suppose you're forgetting the relaunched Aviator running same powertrain as our Raptors?

Regardless - just like I said previously, I am extremely confident should Ford actually bring this to market they'll price it as a halo type vehicle no different than a Trackhawk, M car, Hellcat/Demon, etc. & just like all those other brands they'll offer a less extreme/lower powered version w/ the same idea. Moves more units makes them more $$$$ The market for a 450hp 15mpg $60-75k truck isn't huge, but its decent sized - the market for a 700hp 10mpg super truck? Not so big.

As far as "not being able to afford the warranty side" - again, you need to experience some other brands. GM produced a 5-6 year run of trucks they KNEW had vibration/NVH issues, they KNEW had a "patch job" tranny that was only temporary, they KNEW had high AFM/lifter failure rate, they KNEW had torque converter problems & they 1000000% KNEW/KNOW that EVERY single truck built in the first 3-4 years of that model run had the wrong type & amount of tranny fluid. They just sit on their hands waiting for warranty claims & mitigate them as much as possible. I had 3 of em.

Let me ask you this, if you were a business owner. Would you rather sell 300,000 3.5 EB Raptors w/ avg. MSRP of $66,000 or 50,000 5.2 super Raptors w/ avg MSRP of $80,000?

The delta between what people would be willing to pay & what they could charge for a 3.5 vs. a 5.2 is too great. There is NO WAY they won't jack the price up big time & no way they could ever entice enough people to part w/ that kinda money for what is essentially a "super truck" toy that brings "impractical" to a whole new level.

You know what the best selling truck is in China (now the largest car market in the world btw)? Its the Raptor. You know what WONT be the best selling truck in China? A 700hp Raptor. They'll still sell em for sure, just not @ the same kinda volume. No where near it. I've been to China 4x - every time their middle class gets bigger, they want more luxury items, but there's no getting around the traffic & fuel/insurance costs (plus govt regs for engine size) - these are probably things you didn't consider. But consider this - Mercedes sells plenty of S class sedans in China too - but they're equipped w/ 6 cylinder engines.

They will continue to make the HO 3.5 & will produce it alongside the 5.2 if it ever comes to fruition. It's all about marketing & moving units - it sounds messed up, but if there wasn't a Mustang GT, you could only go from turbo 4 to a GT500 or 350, Ford would have a much harder time selling the GT500/350 @ the prices they do. Likewise, the incentive to "step up" & shell out big bucks for a 5.2 Raptor will be less when that's the only one available, you can charge more when you have a "B model" cost of entry.

You are right - Ford marketing machine got the market all jazzed up. Buyers have great experience in the first 20k miles, but then after that the newness wears off. I am in that camp - am really dissatisfied with the truck, but hopefully it stays together by trade on the 5.2 SC.

By the way, the Aviator gets the new 3.0 ecoboost. Like I said, the 3.5 ecoboost is being phased down.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are right - Ford marketing machine got the market all jazzed up. Buyers have great experience in the first 20k miles, but then after that the newness wears off. I am in that camp - am really dissatisfied with the truck, but hopefully it stays together by trade on the 5.2 SC.

By the way, the Aviator gets the new 3.0 ecoboost. Like I said, the 3.5 ecoboost is being phased down.

I'm not really disagreeing entirely w/ ya, I do think Ford's going to put a V8 in it, but I do NOT think they'll simultaneously cut out the 3.5.....I would believe in a scenario where they produce both the 3.5 & 5.2 versions of the Raptor side by side for a couple years after refining the 5.2 & either updating the 3.5 or replacing it entirely (maybe w/ the 3.0 mentioned)

I'd be tempted to do the same thing on trade if the gas mileage isn't outrageous......course, you do realize the irony of complaining about issues w/ an engine that has been produced in MASSIVE quantities for a decade+ & refined/updated year after year & then jumping @ the opportunity to buy a brand new design SC'd DOHC V8 from the SAME MANUFACTURER you've been complaining about that has been focusing MUCH more on boosted 4's & 6's

See what I'm saying? I'd feel MUCH safer buying a blown V8 truck from GM or Dodge than from Ford, why? Cuz they've been making them in larger quantities & have a simpler design (save the AFM shit). Why get all fired up about a new 5.2 Raptor, wait a year or 2 after it debuts (if it does) & see what kinda issues they have. Why be the guinea pig?

I was a guinea pig for GM On their ecotec 5.3/6.2 as well as the 8L90 slushbox. No thanks.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really disagreeing entirely w/ ya, I do think Ford's going to put a V8 in it, but I do NOT think they'll simultaneously cut out the 3.5.....I would believe in a scenario where they produce both the 3.5 & 5.2 versions of the Raptor side by side for a couple years after refining the 5.2 & either updating the 3.5 or replacing it entirely (maybe w/ the 3.0 mentioned)

I'd be tempted to do the same thing on trade if the gas mileage isn't outrageous......course, you do realize the irony of complaining about issues w/ an engine that has been produced in MASSIVE quantities for a decade+ & refined/updated year after year & then jumping @ the opportunity to buy a brand new design SC'd DOHC V8 from the SAME MANUFACTURER you've been complaining about that has been focusing MUCH more on boosted 4's & 6's

See what I'm saying? I'd feel MUCH safer buying a blown V8 truck from GM or Dodge than from Ford, why? Cuz they've been making them in larger quantities & have a simpler design (save the AFM shit). Why get all fired up about a new 5.2 Raptor, wait a year or 2 after it debuts (if it does) & see what kinda issues they have. Why be the guinea pig?

I was a guinea pig for GM On their ecotec 5.3/6.2 as well as the 8L90 slushbox. No thanks.

Thanks for healthy conversation on this!!!!!
What I will say is that Ford has tons of supercharged experience. Look at all the years of Cobra, Lightning and Shelby. They know how to do it well. I am not afraid of it.
In contrast, the 3.5 ecoboost has had it's fair share of problems from the get go. What makes me mad is that these problems I have were evident many years ago. Shame on Ford for letting it go, and shame on me for being an idiot and not investigating the history of this engine.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I will say is that Ford has tons of supercharged experience. Look at all the years of Cobra, Lightning and Shelby. They know how to do it well. I am not afraid of it.
In contrast, the 3.5 ecoboost has had it's fair share of problems from the get go. What makes me mad is that these problems I have were evident many years ago. Shame on Ford for letting it go, and shame on me for being an idiot and not investigating the history of this engine.

No doubt I feel your pain - but again, coming from GM to Ford trucks, believe me the grass is always greener on the other side til you start digging & find all the grubs!!

Ford has experience on SC'd V8's for sure, but not the same kinda voluminous recent experience that Dodge & especially GM has had. CTS-V's/ZL1's/ZR1's/Z06's etc. For example though....I would buy a C6 ZR1 non DI non AFM blown V8 way WAY before I'd dive in the "new" DI blown AFM hardware 6.2 like in the C6Z - don't wanna be guinea pig for ANY new engine design from ANY manufacturer. Look at Toyota...they're so damn scared of making changes that result in unexpected reliability issues they just keep chugging along w/ the same design from that began R&D probably back in '03-'04!!!

As far as the potential new 5.2 SC'd Raptor you go first & report back to me/us on the reliability over 20k miles then I may follow suit!!!!

Have a good weekend & enjoy what you got for now!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Still trolling I see. Mom hasn't kicked you out of the basement yet?