Roush or Whipple for gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinnnn

Reaction score
So i just got my gen 1 raptor not too long ago and didn’t know if i should go with a whipple supercharger or roush. Was leaning more towards roush but just not sure which to get.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius that you want to turn into a window edition.

How many miles on it? Any other modifications?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the no oil pump gears, or full build camp.

Ford doesn't put billet oil pump gears in anything, or a billet housing- don't forget about that part.

Ford didn't put them in the Raptor R, the GT500s, 03/04 Cobras, Ford GTs, or F150 Lightnings either. The Lightings hit the scene in 1999. 25 years later, oil pumps gears are very rarely an issue in any of those engine when they fail. It's nearly always ring failure, scuffed cylinder walls, cracked cylinders/blocks, and valvetrain failure. It does happen, but it's not common by any means.

By the time you get in far enough to swap the oil pump gears in an engine, you might as well just go all out- pull the engine and add main studs, line hone it, install new bearings, install forged rods and pistons, upgrade the ring material (ductile iron) with hand fit/file gaps, drill the crank for a stud setup for the balancer, install aftermarket balancer, upgrade fuel system, upgrade the engine and transmission mounts, etc etc etc.

Where do you draw the line? Ford has overhead in the stock design and it's enough the take a typical 6-8 lbs of boost from a Whipple kit. I'd personally run the blower on the OEM stock bottom end. Throw some money at the fuel system and get a custom dyno tune to verify A/F before you beat on it. If the engine fails, I'd do a full build. The blower, by its location and configuration, would be protected from any failure of the engine and would always be easily swappable to a future built engine without issue.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise against either. The 6.2 is not as popular such as the 5.0 where there are tons of aftermarket parts and support. For all that money you dont get as much bang for your buck than other engines and more problems. Its a never ending game of upgrading this and that. There was a build on this forum and i asked why no SC and he said been there done that and suspension was where he put his money for the most benefit on his new build

Last edited: