Roush boosting at cruise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martinitime

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just picked up this Gen 1- 60K miles. When cruising it will surge boost anywhere from 3-10 PSI. Doesn't matter if it's cruise control or not. Also happens a tiny bit when leaving from a dead stop. Has the full Roush package and should have the stock Roush tune. Want to be sure it couldn't be anything else besides the tune. Any insight is appreciated.

1667485343697.png

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally I'd inspect the operation of the bypass valve on the blower and associated vacuum lines. Engine vacuum opens the bypass valve so the air doesn't go through the rotor pack and into the motor. A lack of vacuum or a failed diaphragm in the bypass valve will cause it to be in boost all the time. I can't say I've really seen one be intermittent like that though

cant watch the video with sound - while Im not sure what would cause the gauge to have a false reading of going into boost it doesn't look like the truck is surging forward - do you hear blower whine or any other indicator it's actually going into boost?

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a gauge issue or wiring---from the sound of it you are not going into any boost at all, just the gauge moving!!

OP
OP
M

martinitime

Reaction score
personally I'd inspect the operation of the bypass valve on the blower and associated vacuum lines. Engine vacuum opens the bypass valve so the air doesn't go through the rotor pack and into the motor. A lack of vacuum or a failed diaphragm in the bypass valve will cause it to be in boost all the time. I can't say I've really seen one be intermittent like that though

cant watch the video with sound - while Im not sure what would cause the gauge to have a false reading of going into boost it doesn't look like the truck is surging forward - do you hear blower whine or any other indicator it's actually going into boost?
When it does surge I hear sound coming from the front dash area. Best way to describe it is a hamster wheel meets a deck of cards. Only hear it for a second when the boost gage moves significantly. Feels like I blipped the throttle for a second.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah X2 on the bypass valve. It’s there so that you just aren’t CONSTANTLY going into boost. Sends vacuum to the solenoid keeping the valve open until certain vacuum and rpm are reached then builds pressure.

Mako24

Reaction score
Had pretty much the same issue with my whipple from when a shop installed it. Ended up taking it to JDM and they fixed everything. They tuned it but they also recommend changing out the throttle body for a Ford Racing one, which they did. Haven't had any problems since and am very happy with their work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc