Remove stubby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastic cap comes off if you wanted to try heat. The new stubby should have another piece of threaded rod so if possible I would try some vice grips. Shouldn't be seized that bad.

Tried that to with no luck as the vice grips would just strip the threads and spin. Hell I even broke a drill bit trying to bore it out then had to drill that out. It ******* sucked donkey **** and in the end I have no other choice but to replace the cable.

Does that plastic mount just pop off? Is there a trick to getting it off?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tried that to with no luck as the vice grips would just strip the threads and spin. Hell I even broke a drill bit trying to bore it out then had to drill that out. It ******* sucked donkey **** and in the end I have no other choice but to replace the cable.

Does that plastic mount just pop off? Is there a trick to getting it off?

It should. When I did my vinyl I used a fine edged squeegee to get under it and it popped right up.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solid thanks man, will report back once I replace it.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright deed is done.

I bought a replacement antenna cable (9CL3Z18A984B) and did the following.

1. Lowered the glove box and disconnected the antenna cable
2. Disconnect the two white mount clips holding antenna cable in place
3. Tied a string to the end of the cable
4. Removed the plastice antenna mount (just pry it up and it pops off)
5. Removed the 3 screws holding the base of the antenna
6. I then tried to pull it out from the hood but it ended up detaching the base plate from the end of the cable. So I then had to take the fender flare off and the unscrew the wheel well lining. At that point I could pull the old cable through but I think you have to do this anyway.
7. Fed new mount and cable through hood and pulled it through the firewall from the string behind the glove box.
8. Spit on the firewall grommet to get it seated, otherwise it would not go in. You have to push this in from behind the liner, not sure if you can pull it through from the cab/
9. Reconnected cable and put the mount back on.
10. Anti sieze on the threads of the new 50 cal and I am done.

All in all not to bad and I only broke one of the push screws that hold the fender liner on. All the yellow and white ones survived and at this point I would prefer someone steal it then have to go through this shit again.

Pics for clicks:

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this to go from stubby to 50 cal stubby. Doesn't seem quite worth it.

No shit it isn't but I didn't have a choice once I got the stubby off as I had to replace the mount either way. Hopefully this helps someone else that runs into this problem cause I know they will.

:supergay:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lol I was gonna say you were beyond the point of return. Lot of work indeed. Even if you could get your hands to that grommet I doubt you could pull something. Passenger side has to go from the engine bay in.

I can't believe it seized up that bad. I used loctite on my last truck and was still able to take a pair of rubber gloves for grip and twist the sucker off.

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect the issue was probably more to do with the stubby using a dissimilar metal to the mount. This would cause a weld like corrosion in no time that would end up with the result shown above.