Gen 3 Modem/TCU unresponsive ... unable to remove previous owner from FordPass app

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
TL;DR: purchased out of state used Blue Advantage Gold Certified 2022 Raptor, can't use Fordpass app because I the truck's modem won't work - hasn't pinged since September. Local dealership replaced TCU (telematics control unit) and says they need to install OEM amplifier for it to work now.

I've purchased a 2022 Raptor from Schaumburg Ford (IL, stay away from this place). The truck was Blue Advantage Gold Certified (pre inspection backed up by Ford that everything is in working order). Didn't setup the Fordpass app on the spot as they were taking extremely long with the paperwork and I had a 5hr drive back home.

Got home, tried to activate the app... no luck. At all. Tried SYNC reset, Master reset, all kinds of resets I could find. No luck.

Fast forward a week and I was going to store the OEM antenna under the backseat. To my surprise, there was an aftermarket subwoofer there instead. Lucky day, I thought. Why wouldn't the dealership advertise this or let me know, though? Huh. Pulled the backseat backrests and found 2 amplifiers with some other interfaces. Noticed the subwoofer amplifier had a wire disconnected, fixed that but still no outstanding sound power. Then I flipped aux1/aux2 on and boom, upgraded aftermarket sound system was on.

What does that have to do with the original Fordpass issue? Well, took the truck to Kings Ford (my local dealership) so they could figure why Fordpass wouldn't connect, they said they needed to replace the TCU but they would cause a huge mess given I had an aftermarket sound system and they wouldn't be able to put it back in place.

I obviously don't know how the media vs TCU cables cross (if at all) but said whatever. They reverted the whole cabling back to OEM, replaced the TCU and still couldn't get the modem to communicate - which then they figured it was the cause for the old owner profile not being removed from SYNC3 after a master reset. Then, they told me they needed to install the OEM amplifier to get the TCU/modem working ... for 850$.

All the BS with the dealership I purchased the truck from aside, has anybody ever had a similar experience? They didn't sound too confident that the OEM amplifier would solve for the issue and I bet we have more truck owners here with upgraded sound systems and working Fordpass apps.

Confirmed with the Ford support team and the modem hasn’t checked in since September.

Thanks!
Leo

Last edited:

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you looked under the connectivity tab and checked if the connected vehicle is enabled?

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, you ALWAYS have to Terminate the previous owner upon completion of the sale

They sure as h´ell won't do it themselves

1704854626925.png

Good luck figuring it out

OP
OP
leonardopessoa
Reaction score
Man, you ALWAYS have to Terminate the previous owner upon completion of the sale

They sure as h´ell won't do it themselves

View attachment 439846

Good luck figuring it out
It’s the first Ford I ever purchased, how would I know? Lol. Kudos to the dealership and their awesome customer service…
But the problem seems beyond that. As I mentioned, the modem seems to have stopped working per Ford chat and replacing the TCU at the dealership didn’t do it. They are saying they need to install the OEM amplifier for the car to connect again (???)

Last edited:
OP
OP
leonardopessoa
Reaction score
Have you looked under the connectivity tab and checked if the connected vehicle is enabled?
Sorry, on the app or the car?
I do see the car on my app but it asks to do the master reset steps - which I've done countless times.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only real value Fordpass provides is to Ford ... they stalk you and sell your personal information. I deleted it and disabled my modem. OTA updates? I wouldn't. Bricked vehicles are not fun.

OP
OP
leonardopessoa
Reaction score
The only real value Fordpass provides is to Ford ... they stalk you and sell your personal information. I deleted it and disabled my modem. OTA updates? I wouldn't. Bricked vehicles are not fun.
Fair take. I was personally looking for the remote start function on the app being lazy and not having to reach for the keys or when I'm out in the city and want to warm up the car before heading out.

I'm heading to my local accessories shop to quote rebuilding the sound system and eventually give up on the connectivity functionalities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter