Recommendations for a bed light kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would like something that will remain hidden but let me see the bed for hunting season. Prefer something reliable where LEDs won't be dying all the time. Thanks for your thoughts.

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own. Very simple and cheap. Get a 16ft waterproof LED strip with the 3M tape backing. You can find these online in different shades of white (I got mine in 6k color thru Amazon). Get yourself a good water resistant switch and some 18 or 20 ga wire and go at it. The LED strip can be cut every 3 inches so you can make any length you need. I cut two strips about 5ft each to fit under the bed railing. If they have the ends for the strips, then order those as well (makes wiring much easier). I put my switch inside the bed in the end stake rail (out of the way). Then I wired mine in with the running lights since they wont be on all the time and they dont have much of a draw.

It only took a couple hours (Im very **** about installs) and works really well.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Recon sells a kit and most auto parts stores have generic kits if you wanna buy a kit. Check the for sale thread. Someone had the recon kit for pretty cheap brand new in the box.

OP
OP
M

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have an extra set of rigid driving lights I could mount back there but seems like overkill. Don't want to light up the entire woods on those early mornings.

Nitrous Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own. Very simple and cheap. Get a 16ft waterproof LED strip with the 3M tape backing. You can find these online in different shades of white (I got mine in 6k color thru Amazon). Get yourself a good water resistant switch and some 18 or 20 ga wire and go at it. The LED strip can be cut every 3 inches so you can make any length you need. I cut two strips about 5ft each to fit under the bed railing. If they have the ends for the strips, then order those as well (makes wiring much easier). I put my switch inside the bed in the end stake rail (out of the way). Then I wired mine in with the running lights since they wont be on all the time and they dont have much of a draw.

It only took a couple hours (Im very **** about installs) and works really well.

Do you have some pictures by chance? Both in daytime and at night? That sounds like something I might want to do

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of recon lights in the bed that i bought off of a guy on here. They work great with my bakflip. Check them out.

Sent with Tapatalk and my iPad --George (Pinenut with a Y)

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill get some pics tonight and post em. You cant really see the lighting during the day, but at night it helps a lot. Im still waiting for my Roll-X to arrive so I can get that installed.

Im installing a bedrug so the lights are directly behind the rail pointing down. If you dont have a bedrug then you can stick the strips on the angled side, facing toward the middle of the bed.

Last edited:

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill do the same if u wanna see the recons...i also have the bedrug

Sent with Tapatalk and my iPad --George (Pinenut with a Y)

OP
OP
M

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some photos of the recon. I too have a bed rug

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Doesn't seem to explain on their ads. How do the recon lights mount? Thx

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics without the bedrug:

image.jpg

This one is looking directly at the lighting strip under the rail. If I didnt have the bedrug, I could mount them just above the velcro on the angled part and there would be more light directed into the bed. I may tweak them a bit once the rug is installed for good.

image-2.jpg

The switch was 6 -7 dollars at Autozone, the light strip I purchased from Amazon for 19 bucks. Then a few bucks more for the wire and flex loom. So 35 bucks and an hour and a half later.

Last edited: