Rear wheel hop when spining tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Um, no. When I went to RA, I stuck my head into the rear wheel well of the "stock" gen 2 truck that ran Baja because I was curious. The leaf pack looked like Deavers. The crappy spring and block were not under that truck. Bait and switch.
I checked out every stock-class truck that raced SCORE for 14 seasons, and never saw OEM leaf springs on anything that finished. Granted, there's always some guy in a janky garage-built vehicle that enters the big events, (too many examples to share), but because I owned leaf spring trucks I was curious about what everybody chose. And that was mostly Deavers and a few smaller spring companies.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True that! But Ford wanted the Raptor to ride relatively smooth off road. And that takes suspension compliance. So, putting in heavier, stiffer leafs would lessen the compliance. That’s the main reason for the new coil sprung rear suspension. Four links and coils locates the axle, yet allows easier tuning of compliance. Add live shocks, and you can now manage that compliance.

So, what you called , “Ford cheapened out” was almost a necessity at the time. And remember, it was always thought that coils were not up to Truck duties, since every truck that is out there, at one time or another has been burdened with weight well past the design limits.
My understanding of what negates this line of thinking is the fact that the Deaver SD springs are NOT:
heavier, stiffer leafs
but close to if not the OE spring rate. Just a more progressive less SHlTTY (money saving simple) multi leaf design. Now people like ME are absolutely and knowingly giving up some compliance with the "HD" version that IS a higher spring rate.

Bluto

Reaction score
I added some anti wrap springs on my truck to help out with axle wrap. It has helped immensely on the stock springs with wheel hop as well. I had wheel hop on soft dirt under hard acceleration or hard takeoffs from a stop. It was made immensely worse when I tuned the truck, this was at 20k miles. I tried to find solutions as I don't want to buy deavers yet, I'm going to run my 35s down first then get deavers to clear 37s. Anyways, I found some old Nissans really suffered from axle wrap and they had a couple solutions to help the issue. I ended up adding hellwig ez-550 which bolts on the the front of the existing leaf spring and basically pushes back in the opposite direction of the axle wrap. Reducing the wrap in turn reduces hop, since the leaf is kept straighter in the correct orientation. I did also have to buy wider u bolts from Amazon since the ez-550 is meant for a narrower axle and they don't have a wider version. It didn't change ride height which I measured before and after and don't notice any change in ride quality. I like the extra soft rear end and didn't want to get rid of that.PXL_20230706_170406962.jpgPXL_20230706_170417906.jpg