Rear wheel hop when spining tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly and I have said this 100 times, 90% of the Raptor owners would be better served with Platnium or a Limited. Both have twice the cargo and twice the towing capacity. As far as a truck goes, Raptors are horrible. ( in my world towing amd payload are what make a truck a truck, hence why I still have my Superduty) honestly an El camino or Ranchero have about the same payload and towing as a Raptor.
I’ve thought this a bunch but then I paste a curb and am super glad I’m on 17’s and 35’s instead of 22s and rubber bands.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not that the springs are too soft, they are oversprung and twitchy. There are literally FOUR leafs making up the entire spring. With a 2" block under them.
Next 2021+ F150 we get in I will post picture of rear leaf spring. Only two leafs. The main one attached to the frame and one other one about an inch thick. Crazy set up if you ask me.

Here is another thought to consider.

My Raptor has a payload of 1086lbs. Many think this is just what goes in the bed, but it is what the entire truck can haul. Includes coats, jackets, toilet paper, people........... everything not bolted down from the factory. I am not a small guy, at 6' 2". Myself, my wife and a cooler with drinks and lunch weight 500lbs (you can divide the weight between the three how you like). Right there with no other equipment I am at 50% of my limit. 4 grown adults in a raptor and you are at or near the limit.

4 people and a trailer with 700 lbs tounge weight and you are well past the limit, even if the people are munchkins.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you keep powering through wheel hop, the rear end is going to fail. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is.

We all know Raptors have a third of the payload capacity of the HD payload F150s- becasue every non-Raptor owner has mentioned it a dozen times. I don't want to load up a half ton truck with 3000 lbs of payload anyways. Once you get into carrying really heavy stuff, an F150 is not the right tool IMO.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My Raptor has a payload of 1086lbs. Many think this is just what goes in the bed, but it is what the entire truck can haul. Includes coats, jackets, toilet paper, people........... everything not bolted down from the factory
#Facts. OTOH, does Ford stop the QA at 1086 pounds? Or, do they QA with whatever the bed will hold? Because at one point, that’s very similar to what they were testing and the thing is that it had to perform anywhere from Alaskan winter to Death Valley summer.

Your point is a good one.
If you keep powering through wheel hop, the rear end is going to fail. It doesn't matter what vehicle it is.
Fair point here, and something not much touched on.
Once you get into carrying really heavy stuff, an F150 is not the right tool IMO.
But, the F150 may be the only tool you have at hand and this is where I think Ford does a pretty good job and factoring in customer behavior into their final products.

The reverse is also true. There are a LOT of super duty buyers who have that as their only ‘trusted’ vehicle and it has to haul farm implements, livestock, deer blinds, and get the family to/from. They’re not cheap and overkill for a lot of work they do, but when you need the super duty cargo handling, you need it.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
#Facts. OTOH, does Ford stop the QA at 1086 pounds? Or, do they QA with whatever the bed will hold? Because at one point, that’s very similar to what they were testing and the thing is that it had to perform anywhere from Alaskan winter to Death Valley summer.

Your point is a good one.

Fair point here, and something not much touched on.

But, the F150 may be the only tool you have at hand and this is where I think Ford does a pretty good job and factoring in customer behavior into their final products.

The reverse is also true. There are a LOT of super duty buyers who have that as their only ‘trusted’ vehicle and it has to haul farm implements, livestock, deer blinds, and get the family to/from. They’re not cheap and overkill for a lot of work they do, but when you need the super duty cargo handling, you need it.
I imagine the payload rating is done similarly to how tow ratings are done.

Where the Raptor fails would be handling and possibly the braking. As far as acceleration it obviously would do fine.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock leafs (4 leafs if I remember correctly) are also very long leafs stacked on top of one another, the Deavers use a series of 12 leafs of various lengths to produce a progressive spring rate (13 for HD Deavers). WIth the long OE leafs and the 2" block, the axle can get a lot of leverage on the leaf spring and cause it to rap, as the tire hops when the spring rebounds after wrapping (and still under load) it then gets caught wrapping again, this causes the axle hop, or oscillation. This axle wrap/hop shows up in loose road materials (gravel, dirt, snow) that has variable traction as the axle starts to rebound, so you get a short loss of traction as the axel unloads, then grabs traction, wraps again, so on and so forth.
This isn't a new condition or unique to Raptors, I have seen a ton of Toyota pickups do this for years, also had a Ranger that would do it readily, and even older leaf spring cars would do it (like a Chevy Nova, light rearend, enough Hp to wrap the spring, even on pavement with a non-performance tire-extra slip is what causes it).

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You either gotta make them fully spin, or eliminate the spin. All the new cars with big HP and an IRS hop like bunnies from the factory with the stock rubber bushings in the IRS and the kind-of grippy tires they come with.

In the cars, you either downgrade to some cheap hard compound tires that'll spin way easier than the factory tires, or you run MT ET drag radials. Anything in between is wheelhop hell.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I have a brand new never installed torque arm which is the same one smurfslayer speaks of and if your interested I might be willing to sell it.

Just never got around to installing it, for a 2019.

Also it's heavy so there would be shipping involved.