Rear wheel hop when spining tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP this is all great info from the guys. Probably more than you wanted but all great info. I ordered my 2018 and basically went straight to work on the rear end to fix the wheel hop and axel wrap. I started out with Deaver +3 and eventually went with +3HD’s “long story there”. Jeff and Scott at Deaver are great to deal with if you need help making any decisions or need something custom built. As others have said they aren’t cheap but what is these days especially if it goes on a Raptor! I’m getting ready to rebuild the shocks (I’m just over 50K) because they are starting to need it. Also I used a Hellwig rear sway bar to give the axel a little help not moving around when power is applied. Well after doing this and a lot more to the truck, I’m now looking at pulling the Hellwig and putting SVC Track Bars on to really plant the axel. More expensive but I think a better way to control the rear axel. Just FYI I hope you get it figured out because the truck never stops putting a smile on your face no matter wether it’s off road or street fun! Good luck.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Deaver makes a spring under setup as well. It's obviously more work and more money. You have to relocate the front springs forward, replace the shackles, grind off the old spring pads, move the exhaust, etc., but in my experience (on a fully caged tacoma prerunner with 14" travel in front & 16" in back), it's a very plush ride. You won't ever carry a pallet of concrete in the bed, but you can squeeze out as much as 18" of travel. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1...4fd1-4bd4-455a-bedf-895d54dcebf9&test=control

Attachments

• camburg_tacoma_su3.jpg
    camburg_tacoma_su3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OP
OP
Guyzer

Guyzer

Reaction score
I think the Deaver springs would be overkill for my situation. Im just looking for some light duty offroad capabilitiy, not maxing out what the truck can potentially do. I checked with RPG Offroad in SoCal and they will install traction bars and labor for $2,000. I also found a shop online that does Fox shock rebuild on exchange, called TSW Offroad. I might as well do them at the same time. Does anyone have experience with TSW Offroad and if there exchange program is good?

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Deaver springs would be overkill for my situation. Im just looking for some light duty offroad capabilitiy, not maxing out what the truck can potentially do. I checked with RPG Offroad in SoCal and they will install traction bars and labor for $2,000. I also found a shop online that does Fox shock rebuild on exchange, called TSW Offroad. I might as well do them at the same time. Does anyone have experience with TSW Offroad and if there exchange program is good?

The only "overkill" would be on your wallet as you can get basically OE spring rate in the SD's vs the higher rate HDs. Seems to be a more progressive rate at that. From a performance stance can't lose. Even if you never really stress them, at least you won't have your OE springs go flat like so many of us HAVE. Then again you could wait til they go flat and pay to have them done then but without a break on labor.

As for dampener rebuilds I hear mixed reviews on TSW. However, they have a local shop to me so may give them a shot. They will remove rebuild and reinstall for "starting" at $1200. That "starting" is where I've heard issues with the "send in/exchanges". Can't help but wonder if there would be less "shenanigans" in person. I'd do it myself but can't find any tech info on live valve rebuilds. Setting piston height/fluid amount/torque specs/etc. I've not touched a rebuild since about 2009-ish. Then there is my arthritis that does not like how much gorilla torque I can put behind a human joint. And this monkey always forgets or considers "stuck" a challenge.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new never installed torque arm which is the same one smurfslayer speaks of and if your interested I might be willing to sell it.

Just never got around to installing it, for a 2019.

Also it's heavy so there would be shipping involved.
Where are you located?

BigBlue20

Reaction score
There's a 2" block between the spring and the axle. Because of the extra leverage, the axle transmits more twisting force(torque) to the spring. Because the OEM spring has so few leaves, it's thin and it's ability to resist the torque is less than a spring pack with the same spring rate but more leaves. Ford cheaped out big time.
True that! But Ford wanted the Raptor to ride relatively smooth off road. And that takes suspension compliance. So, putting in heavier, stiffer leafs would lessen the compliance. That’s the main reason for the new coil sprung rear suspension. Four links and coils locates the axle, yet allows easier tuning of compliance. Add live shocks, and you can now manage that compliance.

So, what you called , “Ford cheapened out” was almost a necessity at the time. And remember, it was always thought that coils were not up to Truck duties, since every truck that is out there, at one time or another has been burdened with weight well past the design limits.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, what you called , “Ford cheapened out” was almost a necessity at the time.
Um, no. When I went to RA, I stuck my head into the rear wheel well of the "stock" gen 2 truck that ran Baja because I was curious. The leaf pack looked like Deavers. The crappy spring and block were not under that truck. Bait and switch.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Um, no. When I went to RA, I stuck my head into the rear wheel well of the "stock" gen 2 truck that ran Baja because I was curious. The leaf pack looked like Deavers. The crappy spring and block were not under that truck. Bait and switch.
The rumor is that the OE springs were supposed to be deavers - but the bean counters said they were too expensive... The OE springs are really just trash.