GEN 1 Rear differential thrust washer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karleemo

Reaction score
Hi all!

This washer fell out of my 2011 Gen 1 when doing a diff cover re-seal. It was at a shop over a year ago for axle seals. No clue if it is related. But was doing a diff cover re-seal this weekend and this washer fell out. WTH please let me know what I’m dealing with here. Is this #4 in the below diagram? How would this fall out?

Thank you for the help in advance!
Karl
IMG_4770.jpegIMG_4769.jpegIMG_4771.jpeg
IMG_4772.jpeg

Last edited:

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like #4 in the diagram. Can't come out unless pin is slid out, like when you remove the pin to get the "c" clips out to do axle seals.

OP
OP
Karleemo

Karleemo

Reaction score
Sure looks like #4 in the diagram. Can't come out unless pin is slid out, like when you remove the pin to get the "c" clips out to do axle seals.

Wouldn’t this cause a hum or noisy gears, even catastrophic failure if left out for say 10k miles?

Assuming they replaced it and just left the old one in bottom of the case by accident. Can’t believe it was just sitting in there. Definitely could’ve gotten caught up in the gears.

Fluid drain looked somewhat normal, grayish, no metal bits.

I guess I have to take the cover off again and really inspect if that washer is installed.

Thanks!
Karl

Marlboroman

Reaction score
Well you need it. The gear turns on that instead of the housing. Sounds like you need to pull the cover off at a minimum to inspect. If they forget to put that back in god knows how bad the job was done.

OP
OP
Karleemo

Karleemo

Reaction score
Well you need it. The gear turns on that instead of the housing. Sounds like you need to pull the cover off at a minimum to inspect. If they forget to put that back in god knows how bad the job was done.
I’m just not understanding how this would come out on an axle seal job. Should just be remove the pin retaining bolt, slide pin out and pull the c clips to get the axles out.

Would they have to losses the pinion bolt at some point?

sc85fiero

Reaction score
It is #4 in the diagram. When they slid the pin out and removed the axles they must have unnecessarily spun the spider gears out. They are a pain to get back in but definitely shouldn't have just been left in the bottom of the diff housing.

-Joe

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's easier than you think for that to fall out. If they turned an axle any time that the pin was out it could walk the pinion gears and washers out. The only time those gears turn is when the rear tires turn at different speeds like in a turn or when your stuck with only one tire turning. So without that washer in there it allows a little less contact between the gears and over a long period of time may wear the case. If it wasn't needed the factory wouldn't put it in there. Don't panic, just pull it back apart and make sure everything is where it belongs.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
I’m just not understanding how this would come out on an axle seal job. Should just be remove the pin retaining bolt, slide pin out and pull the c clips to get the axles out.

Would they have to losses the pinion bolt at some point?
Well of course you don’t. Your shop that you trusted to do your work ****** you. Take it back explain the situation and make them assemble it before you end up with more metal wearing out asap. It’s a no brainer,and for us to sit here and argue back and forth is a waste of time. If you insist on calling our bluff here fine. Expect another rebuild in a year or less. Just because you don’t see how or know how that can happen doesn’t mean it didn’t.

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
Well of course you don’t. Your shop that you trusted to do your work ****** you. Take it back explain the situation and make them assemble it before you end up with more metal wearing out asap. It’s a no brainer,and for us to sit here and argue back and forth is a waste of time. If you insist on calling our bluff here fine. Expect another rebuild in a year or less. Just because you don’t see how or know how that can happen doesn’t mean it didn’t.
Ditto…if you don’t know what or why, then follow the advice and take it back ASAP…it will ruin your carrier