Raptor Vs GMC AT4X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorsRus

Reaction score
Heres my opinion:

Long time GM owner. I just sold truck pictured below or above haha (2021 3500) about 3 months ago. With the crazy market I cashed in on $20k over what I was into my truck. I had always wanted a raptor, found one off a listing and felt good about the price. Will most likely buy another diesel (Ford or GM) within the next 12 months.

When it comes to "off-road" capability trucks. Ford Wins. I've drove Trail Bosses, AT4's and it's a world of difference. Power, handling, suspension. You name it and the Raptor crushes GM any in facet of an off-road machine. GM is out of their minds when it comes down to the consumer. They have no idea what the end user really wants. Example: The new Raptor competitor they're coming out with soonish (Silverado ZR2), will only have 33" tires stock. No one, I repeat no one wants 33" tires on their off-road truck. It just goes to show how behind the times they are in things that actually matter to the end user. IMG_9945-2.jpg

MRFORDMAN

Reaction score
This is just another GMC Trailboss. My dad had 2 GMC/Chevy trucks in the past 10+ years and they were both in the shop a lot. Sometimes over and over for the same electrical issues etc. This truck is not even close to being a Raptor new or old. The GM game is weak.

Last edited:

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Not in love with the AT4X package, especially at that price point. If I was going to go the GM route (which I still might do in the upcoming years) I would consider the Power Pax Jackal package. The stage 3 offers solid capability, both in terms of suspension upgrades and supercharging the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. Here are some of the highlights:

• King 3.0" Front Coilovers with Internal Bypass Technology
  • BajaKits Front PreRunner Suspension System
  • 3" Wider Fabricated Upper and Lower Control Arms
  • UniBall Joints for Maximum Travel and Strength
  • Extended CV Axles
  • King 3.0" Rear Shocks with Internal Pypass Technology
  • Deaver Progressive Leaf Springs
It ain’t cheap but neither is the raptor. Might be worth looking at for those who are mildly interested in GM.07CD9DD3-C4C7-46D3-B53A-07FD9056BA7A.jpeg

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not in love with the AT4X package, especially at that price point. If I was going to go the GM route (which I still might do in the upcoming years) I would consider the Power Pax Jackal package. The stage 3 offers solid capability, both in terms of suspension upgrades and supercharging the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8. Here are some of the highlights:

• Extended CV Axles
It ain’t cheap but neither is the raptor. Might be worth looking at for those who are mildly interested in

I hear what you are saying with this as an option to a factory truck but on top of everything, it's still just bolt-on stuff on top of factory everything. You get a truck with no warranty on motor, trans, axles, suspension or most of the body panels.

TrailRunner

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying with this as an option to a factory truck but on top of everything, it's still just bolt-on stuff on top of factory everything. You get a truck with no warranty on motor, trans, axles, suspension or most of the body panels.
Oh yeah. I totally agree that the raptor is the superior truck rolling off the assembly line and bolt-on packages aren’t all that special. When I was initially shopping around, some clown car dealership told me that they just sold the raptor I was inquiring about and asked if I might be interested in a “black ops” or Harley Davidson edition truck. I’ve never been so insulted by someone I didn’t personally know.

I guess the thing that I keep considering is that most of us mod our trucks anyways. Raptor owners shell out tens of thousands for bigger shocks, Deaver springs, long travel kits, etc.

So if one were already planning to add painted flared fenders, 3.0 Fox shocks, and insists on the God-given right to drive a SC V8, the jackal is a viable option for GM fans. My gut tells me I would probably opt for a new Raptor or TRX, but I’d first have to crunch the numbers and decide if it’s worth it.

franky16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah well if you use the raptor like it was designed or marketed to be used and you break something Ford won’t warranty either lol

franky16

Full Access Member
Reaction score

• Extended CV Axles
It ain’t cheap but neither is the raptor. Might be worth looking at for those who are mildly interested in GM.View attachment 343605
That’s bad ass

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2" spacer lift and basic Rancho shocks? How does that compare to Fox live valve suspension, beefed up frame for Baja, wide body fenders, etc. Better comparison for the AT4 and Trail Boss is the Tremor. Raptor just on another level. Not going to get into GM quality/reliabilty issues...
It doesn’t compete but clearly you don’t know what your talking about. The AT4X has DSSV shocks and front and rear locker. Overall a pretty sweet truck. Only problem is it comes on 32s, no wide body, and still has leaf springs. All that for 75k.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, I see the multimatics now on some the AT4X articles. That is a huge suspension improvement over the Rancho AT4 shocks, still not the travel of a raptor and offroad capability, no 5 link coil over rear end, 15" of travel, etc but a nice truck if you go that route. I just don't see a capabilities argument there yet. Maybe the ZR2 will compete?
It’s a dope truck, but even the ZR2 won’t compete. Everything is the same except 33s instead of 32s.