Raptor decal Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Late to the party here, but we have two different options for treating and protecting your decals.

Super VRT is the most popular choice. It's a water-based dressing that will leave a satin finish on the vinyl. Offers SPF35 protection, is water resistant so it will last through a few washes, and can be used on tires, plastics, rubber, etc.

Quick Sealant is also an option. It's an aerosol sealant, designed for painted surfaces. However, since it's optically clear and leaves no residue behind, it's great for treating matte vinyl.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I have use Meguiars wax since I don't know when, but I finally found a problem using it with my decals on my 2012. But only in the area of the decals that are not smooth, like the F150 & SVT portions on the hood. The wax did not want to rub out / off and really required a lot of elbow grease. I swear I can still see wax residue in there. Just food for thought.

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I actually have an extensive writeup on our forums about factory vinyl care. I've been in contact with 3M, not to mention I used to work for Avery - Those 2 comprise 100% of the OEM vinyl graphics materials for the big 3, and many others including aftermarket.

Ford specifically uses 3M material for their vinyl graphics.

TECH TIP: Vinyl Graphics Care - Surf City Garage Library - Surf City Garage Forums

the part of that writeup that applies most here:

3M vehicle wraps and graphics:
Cleaning: Use a cleaner designed for high-quality painted surfaces. The cleaner must be wet, non-abrasive, without strong solvents, and have a pH value between 3 and 11 (neither strongly acidic nor strongly alkaline)

Additional Note from Tech Support: "The use of acidic or alkaline cleaners may be required to remove some types of stubborn contamination, but should be limited in use as repeated cleanings with such chemicals can result in drying of the material."

3M: Caring for Vinyl Vehicle Graphics

Section 6: Polish & Wax
Most standard graphic films and overlaminates can be waxed with a high quality car wax. Before use, test and approve in an inconspicuous area. Do not use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds.

For the carbon fiber and brushed metal films in Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080, a polishing product such as 3M Tire Restorer or Meguiars® Natural Shine Protectant may be used. We do not recommend any polishing or wax product for the matte or textured films.

Additional information from Ford/3M for those of you with Mustangs or other Ford products featuring vinyl graphics. This information applies to pretty much all factory vinyl, but its nice the people at ford have provided specifics on the subject:

Ford Custom Graphics - FAQ

What are the custom graphics for Ford made of?
A. Our graphics are made with 3M’s Scotchprint® Personalized Vehicle Graphic Film plus a clear graphic protection layer. Ford Custom Graphics is able to control quality by working directly with some of the best graphics manufacturers in the industry.

How do I care for my graphics once they are installed on my vehicle?
A. Hand washing of your vehicle and its graphics is recommended. Avoid abrasive materials, petroleum distillates (such as tar removers) and car washes that use brushes or high pressure. About 6 weeks after the graphics are applied you can use automotive wax over your vehicle, but avoid products designed for cleaning and waxing in a single step as they contain more solvents, which could affect the graphics.

Avery Pressure Sensitive Films & Vehicle Graphics:

A mild soap and water combination is recommended for regular cleaning. Any soaps used should be liquid, non-abrasive, without strong solvents. It is also recommended that soaps with wax additives be avoided.

Cleaners heavy in petroleum distillates (bug & tar removers) should never be used to clean the material under any circumstances.

Quality vinyl protectants free of silicones can be used to address fading or spotting.

As far as specific products for care:

Washing you want pH balanced, and no wax or gloss enhancing additives:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profe...fessional-extreme-suds-balanced-wash-376.html

Detail Spray/Wipe downs you want a POLYMER based product, nothing that contains waxes:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profe...cg-professional-polymer-detail-spray-378.html

If they are looking chalky, uneven, or faded use a water based vinyl conditioner, I prefer our Exterior Trim Conditioner diluted 2:1, that way it can pretty much be used like a quick detailer for vinyl:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profe...g-professional-exterior-trim-conditioner.html

D

Deleted member 12951

I actually ran into issues with my factory hood decal as it had what looked to be water streak marks. I first used Adam's SVRT and even though it made it look great the streak lines were now more noticeable. Because I didn't have any of these above products and didn't want to drive around looking for something that "might" work, I grabbed the only thing I had that I thought would work, Adam's Revive Fine Hand Car Polish.

At first I tried a small area and had the area really wet. Wow, I was amazed. I ended up doing the whole decal and it looked brand new. I washed it down real good with Adam's Car Shampoo, dried it and then applied SVRT. All streaks gone and looks better than when I picked it up brand new at the dealer.

@ Nick@Adams
Any issue with using Revive, it did work awesome but wanted your opinion too?

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I actually ran into issues with my factory hood decal as it had what looked to be water streak marks. I first used Adam's SVRT and even though it made it look great the streak lines were now more noticeable. Because I didn't have any of these above products and didn't want to drive around looking for something that "might" work, I grabbed the only thing I had that I thought would work, Adam's Revive Fine Hand Car Polish.

At first I tried a small area and had the area really wet. Wow, I was amazed. I ended up doing the whole decal and it looked brand new. I washed it down real good with Adam's Car Shampoo, dried it and then applied SVRT. All streaks gone and looks better than when I picked it up brand new at the dealer.

@ Nick@Adams

No issues at all! Revive is a non-abrasive cleanser, and is a great option for cleaning up light spots/damage in vinyl.

Did you get a chance to take any before/after pics?

D

Deleted member 12951

No issues at all! Revive is a non-abrasive cleanser, and is a great option for cleaning up light spots/damage in vinyl.

Nope, didn't think of that at the time. Wish I did though.....

Sure streaks will eventually come again, will next time.

Gilligan

Reaction score

@ Nick@Adams

I have the same issue, I think mine came from using one of those crappy drive thru car washes one time so I will definitely have to give this a try. I'll take some before/after pics if I think of it.

bsid10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chemical guys makes a matte vinyl quick detailer that works great. Leaves a satin shine with UV protection.

SPI_995_16-2T.jpg

I use this and meticulous matte by chemical guys and they work great!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc