Radiator reservoir overflowed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's I just got home from about a 25 mile drive and parked the truck in the garage and came back out 10 minutes later, and noticed a puddle under the truck. It turned out to be coolant, and I tracked it back to the radiator reservoir. But it doesn't look cracked it looked like it was as coming out of the yellow cap on top. It was back down to where it normally is when the engines hot by the time I checked it(see pic) I can tell it wasn't coming out when I was going down the road because the coolant isn't flung everywhere it just dripped straight down. So does anybody know what would be wrong, it is Alittle warm today 85-90 and I have never had a garage to park it in till now, which is also pretty warm today. Also the gauges seemed normal on the drive home. Any and all insight is welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 118

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why not let it run up to temp and see where it is coming from? I know when I had my coolant issue my radiator cap went bad and I had to replace it

OP
OP
farman

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I will try that, I was just letting it cool down to see how much coolant I really lost. It looks like about half an inch or so, about what was on the ground. So it definitely did it when I turned the truck off and went inside for about 10 mins. This may be completely irrelevant but does anybody else notice a high pitched whine after they shut off their truck, maybe 30 seconds or so after. Mine has always done it since new. Never knew what it was, kinda sounded like it was releasing pressure, maybe it has something to do with the coolant system?

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is only a guess but, if there is a crack somewhere in the tank, then you may be hearing air coming out of that crack, releasing pressure. just a hypothesis though

OP
OP
farman

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not let it run up to temp and see where it is coming from? I know when I had my coolant issue my radiator cap went bad and I had to replace it

You might be right I just went out and fired her up and the radiator cap started hissing and leaking. Good call, question is where do I get a new one since I have to pick my girlfriend at the airport in a couple hours

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might be right I just went out and fired her up and the radiator cap started hissing and leaking. Good call

Yea, i noticed some trickle coming down from the cap. i took it to the dealer and had them take a look, the guy told me my whole radiator was bad, and quoted me $1400 for a new one. i took matters into my own hands and ordered a new rad cap, and everything is fine now. it was funny because i just assumed those little caps never went bad. I don't know sometimes its the smallest stuff that can cause the biggest issues. Anyway i hope that a new rad cap fixes it. Best of luck! keep us updated!