Potential new owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys ive never owned a truck before and this will be my first one. In market forna used raptor but seems like its really hard to find with decent price. i am really leaning towards a 2018 used raptor. Found one near me with 70k miles $58k with 802a package and technology package any tips? What to look for and stay away? Anything helps. G
Really appreciate it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. There’s a lot of good information in this thread:
Things to look for on a test drive - Used 2017 Raptor

You want a cold start up; that is, the truck has sat overnight, or at least 12(?) hours to check for the cam phaser park failure. You’ll know it if you hear it at start up. If it is a private sale, ask if the cam phasers have been replaced and check paperwork if available.

If it has a moon roof, verify function before making any agreements. The track system is fragile and requires maintenance that is not well documented. A routine application of Ford’s “Krytox” grease keeps things quiet and moving freely.

If it’s lifted or leveled, check the CV boots.

Listen for IWE noise. in 2h, give it some good throttle from a start. you don’t need to floor it, just moderate to 3/4. get to at least 4th gear / windows down. listen for a rattling sound. This is usually a very inexpensive solenoid, but can be more - lines and if it’s been ignored it can cause more $$$ damage. if you hear the rattling, select 4a and retest. if the noise goes away, it’s an IWE problem.

Get underneath, check for leaks. some ’18 MY have the plastic oil pan, others have the metal pans. Some plastic pans leak, some don’t but Ford abandoned the plastic pan part year through ’18. If you see the plastic pan leaking, know that it’s an intricate repair that many stealerships seem to have trouble with, resulting in return visits and they will not fit the newer metal pan to a plastic pan truck.

check the oil level, there was an issue with oil consumption incident to a valve cover issue.

there have been some recalls - door latch freezing, seat belts and there’s a memo about the tailgate dropping - not sure if that’s inclusive of ’18’s but does affect 2017.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.
Good luck!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Try and haggle a bit, do the best you can. Good luck and post a pic when you get one.

OP
OP
D

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With taxes and fees it came out to $67.284 for 2018 raptor 68k miles good deal? They wouldn’t budge not even a dollar.

Last edited:

gfaria23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot to be honest. I may sell my 2020 with 11K Miles for $79K. (loaded) to give you an idea.

OP
OP
D

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer but with tax it would put me at 85k plus and that’s way asking what I wanted to spend

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The market is hot right now for all Raptors, if you can afford it and its in perfect shape, pounce on it, you will love the truck!

Dancam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the offer but with tax it would put me at 85k plus and that’s way asking what I wanted to spend
In AZ you dont pay tax on private used car sales....and I'm in AZ
I'm asking 78k , your final price out of pocket is going to be 78k
"Q.I purchased my vehicle from a private party. Do I owe use tax?
A.No. Casual sales between private parties are not taxable. When you register your vehicle at MVD, bring a copy of the bill of sale or any documentation that shows you purchased the vehicle from a private party"

Last edited:

Doctor Mike

Reaction score
Is the vehicle you are interested in in prime condition? Paint, no dings etc.
I might be willing to let my black 2018 fully loaded (all options) plus Retrax bed cover, Baja aux lights (fender front), rear underseat storage and bed storage fold out container with 14,000 babied miles go for 70k