Play in Driveshafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea it’s electronically actuated. There’s some BS circulating on the f150 forums that all ‘23s with 4A and without the torsen have no IWEs at all.

I just looked and I definitely have them and they’re working normally. But does everyone have grease coming out of the bottom of their IWEs?

View attachment 434565
Bad eyes here. Can you point to the grease?

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had what sounds like the same vibration. Mine happened at 42 mph. In 4H it went away, they rebuilt the transfer case, no help, rebuilt the hubs, no help. It was broken teeth on the front differential.
Wonder how that happened? Also if there’s an issue with the ring, pinion, or pinion bearing, I would expect it to be worse in 4A/H vs 2H, right? That’s what I don’t understand.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wonder how that happened? Also if there’s an issue with the ring, pinion, or pinion bearing, I would expect it to be worse in 4A/H vs 2H, right? That’s what I don’t understand.
This was on a 2019 F-150 limited. What they said was, the drive line turns while in 2H. That’s why they did the transfer case first. They said, 2H the drive line turns, in 4A the hubs lock in, 4H the transfer case locks in. I would think Raptors work the same. The tech may be wrong, but replacing the ring and pinion fixed it.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was on a 2019 F-150 limited. What they said was, the drive line turns while in 2H. That’s why they did the transfer case first. They said, 2H the drive line turns, in 4A the hubs lock in, 4H the transfer case locks in. I would think Raptors work the same. The tech may be wrong, but replacing the ring and pinion fixed it.
Not sure how the limited works, but on my 2020 raptor the front driveline doesn't turn in 2H. That's why the front hubs grind it they start to engage going down the road in 2H. 21 and up trucks have electric actuated iwes as far as I know....

OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rotated my tires yesterday, and it made no difference in the frequency, intensity, or proximal location of the vibration. I’m pretty sure it’s not wheel/tire balance at this point. I’ll bring it in to the dealer after the holidays.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rotated my tires yesterday, and it made no difference in the frequency, intensity, or proximal location of the vibration. I’m pretty sure it’s not wheel/tire balance at this point. I’ll bring it in to the dealer after the holidays.
I did the same thing. I believe three rebalancing and rotations. The last time, we broke each tire and spun it 180 degs on the rim. It was the front differential.

XwerX

Reaction score
I had what sounds like the same vibration. Mine happened at 42 mph. In 4H it went away, they rebuilt the transfer case, no help, rebuilt the hubs, no help. It was broken teeth on the front differential.
I had the same issue. Zoom in on the pinion gear.

Attachments

• IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

Reaction score
Today I was messing around with it and got the vibration to come every time in 2H when cruising the highway at a steady 75-80, and then would go away in 4A. That doesn’t make sense to me, do these trucks no longer have IWE’s?

I’m starting to think it’s not a tire balance issue.
Dropped off my truck yesterday to look at the same issue. Vibration is so bad that it would shake my gym bag off the passenger seat.

Edit: The vibration feels like the chassis wants to pogo stick down the highway and it's coming from the front end. Not sure if that's the same for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoostCreep

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dropped off my truck yesterday to look at the same issue. Vibration is so bad that it would shake my gym bag off the passenger seat.

Edit: The vibration feels like the chassis wants to pogo stick down the highway and it's coming from the front end. Not sure if that's the same for you.
I wouldn’t describe mine as nearly that bad. Mine is obviously felt through the pedals and floor, but not to the point of shaking the dash or anything violent. Did yours start out more mellow and how many miles has it been an issue for you?