Phone mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmfedie

Reaction score
Hey gang...wondering if anyone has found a good phone mount that they like in their gen2? I've searched across the board and can't seem to find one that either doesn't look obnoxious (ProClip) or has the charging capability with a data cable for carplay. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
Not sure why you think the ProClip is obnoxious but it's rock solid whether you use there cradle option or the magnetic. I used both but the magnetic I preferred no doubt!

OP
OP
J

jmfedie

Reaction score
Not sure why you think the ProClip is obnoxious but it's rock solid whether you use there cradle option or the magnetic. I used both but the magnetic I preferred no doubt!
Just that running the mount across the entire depth of the dash seems excessive. But I guess that leads to the rock solid factor.
When you use the magnetic mount, did you use their magnetic sticker on your phone/case or did you have your own magnetic case? I would assume if you have a magnetic case it would work just fine?

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
Just that running the mount across the entire depth of the dash seems excessive. But I guess that leads to the rock solid factor.
When you use the magnetic mount, did you use their magnetic sticker on your phone/case or did you have your own magnetic case? I would assume if you have a magnetic case it would work just fine?
I see what you're saying about the mount but it sits super flush and blends right into the dash. No drilling in dash and easily removed with zero damage (just removed mine). I went with the Scosche Magic Mount iPad strength and shizz never moved once in all my off-roading. They make a super thin magnet that you can attach to your case. If you use an iPhone they even have a MagSafe mount. MagSafe wasn't out at the time when I bought mine for my Gen 2 so I can't vouch for its attach strength. The one upside for a MagSafe mount is you can use it with any wireless charger. If you use the magic mount the magnet you attach to the case will block wireless charging.

OP
OP
J

jmfedie

Reaction score
Yeah, after looking further, I ordered the proclip. I didn't like how every other solid or F150 specific mount required taking things apart and/or drilling holes. Appreciate your help!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rolled my own. I don't like that the cupholder approach keeps you from using a cupholder for anything (WeatherTech), so I took a steel can, riveted a piece of mild steel to it, and then used 3M double-sticky mounting tape to fix a phone holder of my choice to that piece of steel. I put the thing in my cupholder, bent the steel arm back by hand so that the phone was angled up toward me, and then wrapped the can with black Gorilla Tape to improve its appearance. A year later I'm still quite satisfied. Cheap, easy to do, and it beats the system.

Attachments

• Raptor phone holder.jpeg
    Raptor phone holder.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
J

jmfedie

Reaction score
Quadlock on a Builtright center dash mount... function over form.
Appreciate your response.
I rolled my own. I don't like that the cupholder approach keeps you from using a cupholder for anything (WeatherTech), so I took a steel can, riveted a piece of mild steel to it, and then used 3M double-sticky mounting tape to fix a phone holder of my choice to that piece of steel. I put the thing in my cupholder, bent the steel arm back by hand so that the phone was angled up toward me, and then wrapped the can with black Gorilla Tape to improve its appearance. A year later I'm still quite satisfied. Cheap, easy to do, and it beats the system.
Nice work!