Perch Mod Discussion

Mid perch or no?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rat

Reaction score
I guess you're not on the ball detecting humor today...maybe I'll throw some smileys in there for you next time for a hint.

Not exactly sure why you feel the need to be such a ****** in your responses. I've seen you do it to others, so I shouldn't be surprised. I guess I am because I figured aside from the friendly jabs we all seem to act like adults here.

?

That's just A.I.I. he doesnt sugar coat things, he just bangs on them keys and there it is. Hey we all have some querks, right ! we one big happy disfunctional family.

Rat

Reaction score
I have had my springs off three times this past week

Remember, don't use brake or carb cleaner on the FOX shocks it will ruin the clear coat and the finish will go downhill fast.

0130.jpg

What kind of spring compressor is that ? how much ? Does it work good ?

Nice tip on carb cleaner !

jlauth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this is why i do everything to my vehicles. I am def not at the level of a master tech or machine repairman (engineer here), but caring and not hurrying goes a long way on vehicles. They had better replace your whole shock, and they had better be thankful you didn't come back with a gun after that mess. haha

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow this is why i do everything to my vehicles. I am def not at the level of a master tech or machine repairman (engineer here), but caring and not hurrying goes a long way on vehicles. They had better replace your whole shock, and they had better be thankful you didn't come back with a gun after that mess. haha

Caring and not hurrying does go a long way on cars but that's not how it works for techs. For instance, ford pays a tech (most of us work 100% commision) less than 2 hours to remove and install a cab on a superduty. That's an hour on and hour off.... To pull the entire cab off a running chassis. I get a whole whopping 12 minutes to change oil. Anything over that and I'm changing the oil on a customer car for free. It's only getting worse. Techs are forced to cut corners just to make a living. Nice Cobra btw

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Caring and not hurrying does go a long way on cars but that's not how it works for techs. For instance, ford pays a tech (most of us work 100% commision) less than 2 hours to remove and install a cab on a superduty. That's an hour on and hour off.... To pull the entire cab off a running chassis. I get a whole whopping 12 minutes to change oil. Anything over that and I'm changing the oil on a customer car for free. It's only getting worse. Techs are forced to cut corners just to make a living. Nice Cobra btw

Sorry but for custom work all dealers, ford included, bill by the hour. The tech should take his time, it's not a race, and any good tech would spent the time to read a forum if they don't know how to do it. My Nissan GTR tech is amazing, he installed a full custom exhaust for me with valves, did not have a clue how to do it but took his time and I paid for four hours. It was worth it.

12 minutes to change oil?! Holy shit, now that sucks. You sure thats not the place you work for making these rules?!

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but for custom work all dealers, ford included, bill by the hour. The tech should take his time, it's not a race, and any good tech would spent the time to read a forum if they don't know how to do it. My Nissan GTR tech is amazing, he installed a full custom exhaust for me with valves, did not have a clue how to do it but took his time and I paid for four hours. It was worth it.

12 minutes to change oil?! Holy shit, now that sucks. You sure thats not the place you work for making these rules?!

The place I work for does set the 12 minutes but any other dealer isn't much better. Typical is 20-25 minutes worth of pay, even that's not enough time.

I agree, custom work should be billed by the hour and the tech should be allowed to take the time, but that's not how it works. Just look at the number of post on here where people bitch that the dealer wanted too much money to do the perch mod. People expect it for two hours worth of labor time, but yet you're telling me a good tech will search the internet and spend the time to get it all figured out. How does this work? How does the tech feed his family, pay the mortgage, pay his 70k tool bill by spending double the amount of time for what the customer is willing to pay? You could say job retention but how often will perch jobs come along?

It works out like this... Let's say dealer charges 100 bucks an hour. The techs cut is roughly 20% the job is bid for two hours plus alignment (60$) because raptor customer ******* it shouldn't cost over 300 bucks. So after tax and shop supplies its right under 300$. Now because the tech doesn't lust over the raptor he needs to research online how to perform this modification but there's a problem, like most company computers internet forums are blocked (just like mine, I can't view pictures or videos on frf or go to sdhq site for perch instructions) so now tech has to track down administrator to try to unlock some potential websites or use his own phone or wireless card to do the research. So after an hour or so worth of ******* around for free the tech can now cautiously start on a job based off of instructions found on the internet. After its all said and done the tech will have spent three or so hours of his time for what equates to 10-15 bucks an hour. This is the reality of it. I've been doing this for almost 12 years now, very few times do I get an open check book for accessorie or modification jobs because everyone wants it done cheap and within the time that the internet said it could be done under.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Sorry but for custom work all dealers, ford included, bill by the hour.

Not exactly true. Every dealership I've worked with plays flat rate to the tech's down to the .10.

The place I work for does set the 12 minutes but any other dealer isn't much better. Typical is 20-25 minutes worth of pay, even that's not enough time.

I agree, custom work should be billed by the hour and the tech should be allowed to take the time, but that's not how it works. Just look at the number of post on here where people bitch that the dealer wanted too much money to do the perch mod. People expect it for two hours worth of labor time, but yet you're telling me a good tech will search the internet and spend the time to get it all figured out. How does this work? How does the tech feed his family, pay the mortgage, pay his 70k tool bill by spending double the amount of time for what the customer is willing to pay? You could say job retention but how often will perch jobs come along?

It works out like this... Let's say dealer charges 100 bucks an hour. The techs cut is roughly 20% the job is bid for two hours plus alignment (60$) because raptor customer ******* it shouldn't cost over 300 bucks. So after tax and shop supplies its right under 300$. Now because the tech doesn't lust over the raptor he needs to research online how to perform this modification but there's a problem, like most company computers internet forums are blocked (just like mine, I can't view pictures or videos on frf or go to sdhq site for perch instructions) so now tech has to track down administrator to try to unlock some potential websites or use his own phone or wireless card to do the research. So after an hour or so worth of ******* around for free the tech can now cautiously start on a job based off of instructions found on the internet. After its all said and done the tech will have spent three or so hours of his time for what equates to 10-15 bucks an hour. This is the reality of it. I've been doing this for almost 12 years now, very few times do I get an open check book for accessorie or modification jobs because everyone wants it done cheap and within the time that the internet said it could be done under.

Booyah.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The customer is billed by the hour but that's not necessarily what the tech sees

Banned
Reaction score
He means the customer is charged a flat hourly rate, but the tech doesn't get paid a flat hourly rate. = more profit for dealer.

I'm guessing that's hat he means anyways.

-Sent from my iPhone