Pandora on Sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an HTC Inspire 4g android phone, when I plug in the cable my phone says "Charge only, HTC Sync, Disk Drive, Internet tethering" etc. I tried HTC Sync, but thats not installed on the truck, so it fails. I tried disk drive with no luck.

Anyone got the SyncApp working for Pandora on a similar phone?

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Here is the list of phones, http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf My Inspire 4g also has PictureID for the contacts (I think thats what its for) but I have not seen any peoples faces on the screen. I didnt think the resolution was that good. Just fyi

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

I asked tech support, they said even though I see App Link in my LCD screen, its a 2011 and does not support it.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a SYNC Agent to respond.

Chat InformationThank you for contacting the Ford & Lincoln-Mercury SYNC Support Center.

You are now chatting with 'Rich'

How may I assist you?

you: hi, my android phone is paired to my 2011 ford raptor f150

you: i can see the sync apps area under phone

you: but I only have E911, vehicle history report, and one other

you: I have pandora installed (the latest) on my phone

you: is there something special I have to do to sync via bluetooth to use pandora?

you: my phone is an HTC Inspire 4g from ATT and on your list thats compatible with everything except voice texts

Rich: You will not be able to view Pandora or similar applications under that SYNC Apps folder. You can however access Pandora through blue tooth audio on a connected phone.

you: thats confusing :(

Rich: Start Pandora on your phone, then press the voice button and give the command blue tooth audio.

you: will sync help update with the pandora commands?

Rich: That should allow pandora to play through the vehicles speakers. You will not be able to vocally command the pandora application.

you: whaatt

you: i saw a demo of ford sync and he said "thumb up"

you: for pandora, and it interacted

you: from ford

Rich: That was for a vehicle that was equipped with the Applink feature. That feature is not currently available for your vehicle.

you: i have app link under Phone

you: it only has the 3 apps i listed earlier

you: vehcile health, etc

Rich: SYNC AppLink is available on 2012 SYNC-equipped Ford Expedition, F-150, Fiesta, Fusion, Mustang and Super Duty; and the 2012 Lincoln MKZ and Navigator. The only 2011 vehicle with Applink is the Fiesta.

you: why doe I have applink on my LCD screen when I hit Phone and go to Sync?

Rich: Are you sure your vehicle is a 2011 ?

you: yea, i called the ford svt team and it was made in october or november 2011

Rich: Do you have the VIN?

you: yea

Rich: Ok. May I have the VIN please?

you: VIN

you: this is my window sticker, http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FTFW1R6XBFD13885

Rich: Thank you. I was able to verify that Applink is not available or equipped on that vehicle.

you: why do i see it on my lcd screen under phone?

Rich: Its possible that the icon was included as part of plans for future development but Applink is not equipped on your vehicle.

you: so if i did have applink, it should "just work"

you: ?

Rich: If the vehicle had Applink, it would be access by a voice command "mobile applications".

you: even if my phone was not paired properly?

Rich: Your phone needs to be paired and connected.

you: is the command not recognized if there is no phone, or does it say no phone connected?

Rich: It would likely say no phone connected.

you: thx, is there a way I can upgrade this sync to the 2012 version- I already updated the firmware. Is sync a box or something?

Rich: It is not possible to change the version of SYNC within the vehicle. Sync is incorporated into several system functions such as the radio.

you: thanks, do you have any advice for me?

Rich: You're welcome. You should be able to access Pandora through the blue tooth audio option discussed earlier. It is possible that Applink may be added in some future update but at this point we could not speculate on if or when that would occur.

you: what about photo ID functionality? my phone is compatible, http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf

Rich: If it is not displaying the photos, I would suggest performing a soft reset of your cell phone which is done by removing the battery from your cell phone for 30 seconds while the phone is powered on.

you: ive reformatted my phone, powered off, resynced, removed my device, etc

you: i have never seen any of my contact photos on my screen

you: do you have any information about this feature?

Rich: Have you removed the battery from the phone while the phone is on, and left the battery out for at least 30 seconds ?

you: ive completely reflashed my phone, the power has been dead over night before (wouldnt that do it?)

Rich: Normally just being off will not reset the bluetooth within the phone. I would recommend performing that reset as described.

you: hmm, do you have a guide of this feature of what to look for on my cars screen?

Rich: I did also check the compatible phone list and I am not showing that photo ID is compatible with the ATT Inspire 4 G.

you: ooh

you: guess that guide was bad? http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_2_00.pdf

Rich: That is odd because the list I am retrieving as of today of SYNCmyride.com does not show it as working.http://www.nsapp.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/sync/usEN/sync_us_EN_iop_1_30.pdf

you: no phone supports tethering and photo id?

Rich: Please hold one moment while I research your concern. This may take up to 3 minutes.

Rich: Thank you for holding. The list were originally looking at is for My Ford Touch Vehicles. The list I sent is correct because those are not features available with a Navigation equipped SYNC system.

you: thx

Rich: You are welcome.

Rich: If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them, if not please take a few seconds to let my Boss know how I did today by clicking on the word "Close" in the chat window and filling out my exit survey. I would really appreciate it.

you: is there a sync developer network or a way I can see the differences between 2011 and 2012 sync systems, etc. and try to figure out how to upgrade or get the functionality I want myself? do you have any tips on how to get involved, etc?

you: maybe wiring info on sync, module information, etc?

Rich: There is no way to update or change a version of SYNC equipped in a vehicle. SYNC is only a factory installed accessory.

you: i saw a video from ford where they were working with facebook, etc. and had stand alone sync systems and a nav screen just like mine and they were developing on it

you: is there a way I could do something similar? I am pretty crafty on the computer, its just hard to get past the media releases and to the technical stuff for sync

Rich: The SYNC system is not designed for public modification or alteration and as such there is no support or tools to that end.

you: is that by microsoft or ford?

you: (that statement)

Rich: Ford.

Rich: You may have seen a video regarding a development tool used by SYNC developers or Applink software designers.

you: gotcha

you: hmm

you: im just confused because it seems like if my navigation LCD has SYNC Apps on it, why cant i just upgrade one component

you: or have a list of whats involved

Rich: The My Ford Touch System is not just involved in one component. It is involved in several systems. There is no list for what is involved to upgrade to a My Ford Touch vehicle because it is not possible to be done.

you: so nobody can tell me what a ford f150 with sync has and a ford f150 without sync has, or what parts changed from 2011 f150s to 2012 f150's reguarding sync? I find that hard to believe

Rich: I apologize but as I have stated SYNC is a factory installed accessory only and it is not possible to change the version of SYNC installed in your vehicle. Is there anything else I can help you with?

you: is there a sync box component outside of my LCD screen somewhere?

Rich: If you are looking for technical details of the SYNC system I would recommend you contact your dealership to see if they can assist you.

you: perfect, thx

Last edited:

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks, but unfortunately on the 2011 model, they have App Link, but its not supported. I can only play pandora through BT audio, and control next/play/pause control.

I wanted the player to have the info of the song title, use other apps in the future, etc.

If I go to Phone > SYNC Apps I do not see "Mobile Applications" like the 2012 models do. I was trying to connect my phone via USB, but that was not making a difference. Maybe I can try an iPhone.

I posted my SYNC version as well. Phone > Settings > Advanced > scroll down to System Information.
(I read this off the photo, so some of it may be wrong because its a blurry picture)

Auto Version Number
EB09735.8.00294_sp0.

FPN Number
BG1T-140544-AD

The sync guy said that the radio may just have the Sync Apps on there for a later version of the 2012 SYNC that supports this. In my above chat, he said at this time there is no upgrade due to all the components involved. I think this is just a software update though (I hope)

Attachments

• IMAG0570.jpg
    IMAG0570.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0575.jpg
    IMAG0575.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0572.jpg
    IMAG0572.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0573.jpg
    IMAG0573.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 45

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record I dont like the Dave Mathews Band, it happened to be on Lithium at the time of photographing. I use to love the Sirius Punk channel until they got rid of it a few years ago. I cancelled my Sirius in protest, but it did no good.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Last edited:

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I have V 3.2.2 from Novemeber 2011 with the latest Sync updates.

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/AccountManagement/VehicleMaintenanceHistory.aspx said:
Name Version Status Date
BG1T-14D544-AD Gen1 - V3.2.2 CI 11/30/2011
BG1T-14D544-AD Gen1 - V3.2.2 CI 10/13/2011
BG1T-14D544-AD Gen1 - V3.2.2 CI 10/13/2011

Can anyone send me a 2012 sync update and I can try flashing this onto my console? Just a thought. Doubt its that easy.

Last edited: