Overheating with Full Race Intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the removed lights, I'd wager his issue will be solved. If for whatever reason, the cooling system still needs a little help, having the Tstat open sooner may give him the needed head start on waterflow to postpone the heatsoak point enough that he'd make it up the hills without overheating. The downhill or flat sections coupled with the tstat continuing to be open longer would give him quicker recovery ( cooling wise) .

Does it totally fix the "problem?" NO. Will it potentially treat the symptoms enough to stave off the "disease" , you betcha.

Exactly. If airflow is impeded, a bigger surface area radiator won't really do shit. The CBR variant would have to have enough thickness and fin surface area where air IS flowing, to make up for a 15% loss in height x width surface area due to the lights blocking airflow.

What about plugs? Didn't you say yours showed you were running hot? I wonder if the colder SP542 plugs would make a difference.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thermostat probably won't help much, but it's pretty cheap to swap all things considered... A bigger radiator won't do shit if it isn't getting enough air... As mentioned, those square lights could be diverting most air from entering the areas above and below the intercooler which is why he is having a problem. He is literally the only person I've seen/heard of that is having cooling issue with the IC there - and really the only one I've seen with lights behind the grill with that IC as well.

In this situation, all else equal, a bigger radiator adds 20% more fluid and increases the cooling capacity of both the coolant and the oil. Meanwhile, in this situation, all else equal, a thermostat does precisely nothing.

You guys are acting like it's the lights causing this because "no one else is having the problem". It's shit logic.

How many other people with the full race IC are pulling a 3 ton boat up a mountain in the Arizona heat?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
What about plugs? Didn't you say yours showed you were running hot? I wonder if the colder SP542 plugs would make a difference.

possible, but probably not enough of a tangible difference. I'd go scientific method style on the problem. One change at a time until the compound result is enough to fix the issue.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

In this situation, all else equal, a bigger radiator adds 20% more fluid and increases the cooling capacity of both the coolant and the oil. Meanwhile, in this situation, all else equal, a thermostat does precisely nothing.

You guys are acting like it's the lights causing this because "no one else is having the problem". It's shit logic.

How many other people with the full race IC are pulling a 3 ton boat up a mountain in the Arizona heat?

we dont have anything close to a mountain in lousiana, but, I regularly tow a trailer/gear/airboat combo that is a touch over 7,000 lbs in 95 degree 100% humidity weather.

I'm tuned and i'm running 37s.

If i go slower than 75Mph on i-10, I'll get run over.

I've pulled the same load through TX hill country.

Blocking 15-20% of the airflow to the radiator would CERTAINLY cause my truck to overheat on flat ground.

So we trade off altitude,a few degrees in ambient air temp and highway grade for the added resistance/weight of 37s, the extra 1000 lbs in load weight, and double or triple the humidity.

The difference in fluid capacity means squat without the surface area for air to extract heat over ( fin surface area getting adequate airflow.)

This really isn't rocket surgery. It is rather simple physics.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This really isn't rocket surgery. It is rather simple physics.

That much we can agree on. And the simple physics boils down to this. The same volume of air moving across the radiator with the larger core is going to cool the fluid more.

I really don't see how this can be an argument.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
That much we can agree on. And the simple physics boils down to this. The same volume of air moving across the radiator with the larger core is going to cool the fluid more.

I really don't see how this can be an argument.

But if the radiator has airflow blocked in any way, The difference in fluid volume is meaningless.

Water alone isnt what cools your motor. It is a combination of fluid, conductivity, surface area and air flow volume.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But if the radiator has airflow blocked in any way, The difference in fluid volume is meaningless.

Water alone isnt what cools your motor. It is a combination of fluid, conductivity, surface area and air flow volume.

The difference in fluid volume is due to the larger core volume. The larger core volume provides more surface area for heat transfer. So the larger radiator is going to cool more.

Again, I fail to see how it is possible to argue this point.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
https://www.full-race.com/store/eco...raptor-ecoboost-freakoboost-radiator-upgrade/

Full Race is advertising a 60% increase in surface area.

Fellas, that is a LOT of additional cooling capacity.

By the way, we DO have mountains here in NY. And it gets into the high 90s in both temperature and humidity here in the summer time. I can tell you in my 700+ horsepower truck that weighs 7000 pounds loaded, you have to work it VERY hard (I'm talking WOT) to even get the temp up to 220 and then when you let out of it it cools back down to 180 incredibly quickly.

258 degrees is extremely hot. If the computer hadn't intervened, you would be looking at engine damage for sure.

I would get the radiator.