Full Race Intercooler Cold Side Pipe Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Full Race intercooler. Looks great and functions great. That said, I continue to have an issue with the silicone coupler not staying snug on the throttle body. When I get into it, the coupler slips back and leaves a quarter of an inch between the back of the throttle body flange and the edge of the coupler. When it slips back, it causes the vapor hose to slip off the cold side pipe and then you have a major boost leak. Has anyone else had this issue. If so, how did you remedy? Will try to post pics.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the silicone coupler sliding on the throttle body. It happens when I go WOT. Not sure if it is the pressure or the angle when the engine torques over. I have considered trying belt dressing. Not sure if that might help.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is the silicone coupler sliding on the throttle body. It happens when I go WOT. Not sure if it is the pressure or the angle when the engine torques over. I have considered trying belt dressing. Not sure if that might help.
it is the pressure, this is super common on turbo diesels. First thing is the throttle body has to be clean and dry, as does the inside and outside of the silicone coupler. Also if the throttle body is super smooth/polished you could try giving it some "texture", rough up the outside to give the silcone coupler something to bite into. Next thing is how tight is the clamp, it needs to be tight, obviously you don't want to crush the living hell out of the coupler, but it needs to be tight. Lastly your idea of belt dressing might be on the right path but not the chemical I would use. The chemical I have seen used on some highly modified diesels (pushing over 60 psi of boost) is good old Aqua Net hairspray. Spray it inside the coupler and on the throttle body wait a few seconds (not to long) slide it together and clamp it down.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is the pressure, this is super common on turbo diesels. First thing is the throttle body has to be clean and dry, as does the inside and outside of the silicone coupler. Also if the throttle body is super smooth/polished you could try giving it some "texture", rough up the outside to give the silcone coupler something to bite into. Next thing is how tight is the clamp, it needs to be tight, obviously you don't want to crush the living hell out of the coupler, but it needs to be tight. Lastly your idea of belt dressing might be on the right path but not the chemical I would use. The chemical I have seen used on some highly modified diesels (pushing over 60 psi of boost) is good old Aqua Net hairspray. Spray it inside the coupler and on the throttle body wait a few seconds (not to long) slide it together and clamp it down.
That is very helpful.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the cold side pipe to stop moving on the throttle body after I used some sand paper. That said, I continue to blow the vapor hose off of the cold-side pipe. I'll try sand paper and Aqua Net. If that doesn't work, I'm going to the epoxy.