Oil Change info???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I fixed your link and 3000 mile oil changes are unnecessary for a regular, modern, factory stock, street driven vehicle that doesn't follow severe service.

Today's oil, even conventional non synthetic, is worlds apart better than oils of 10-20 years ago.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I fixed your link and 3000 mile oil changes are unnecessary for a regular, modern, factory stock, street driven vehicle that doesn't follow severe service.

Today's oil, even conventional non synthetic, is worlds apart better than oils of 10-20 years ago.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks! And yes my brother back in MI has a shop, over 30 years, and has always told his customers 5-6K is plenty good, but most service stations and even dealers still put 3k on the window stickers LOL... I have been telling people for years, READ your owners manual, it so much as states 5-6 K or more, none state 3K... yet there are some hard heads out there who think the old fashion way and still drive in every 3K...

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks! And yes my brother back in MI has a shop, over 30 years, and has always told his customers 5-6K is plenty good, but most service stations and even dealers still put 3k on the window stickers LOL... I have been telling people for years, READ your owners manual, it so much as states 5-6 K or more, none state 3K... yet there are some hard heads out there who think the old fashion way and still drive in every 3K...

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True.

I don't want to start a war, but sometimes even the manual can be conservative (no, not Republican so don't ban me). :)

Mobil and Amsoil both have oils that support 15,000 mile oil changes. With that strategy, I believe the filter could be the weak link without further research.

I just started using Pennzoil Ultra in the Raptor and Rotella T6 in my GT500, both on their second oil changes.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
True.

I don't want to start a war, but sometimes even the manual can be conservative (no, not Republican so don't ban me). :)

Mobil and Amsoil both have oils that support 15,000 mile oil changes. With that strategy, I believe the filter could be the weak link without further research.

I just started using Pennzoil Ultra in the Raptor and Rotella T6 in my GT500, both on their second oil changes.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True.

You are 100% correct in my book, the weak link if any is in the filter not the oil. HOWEVER, even the filters used today are of much better quality than filters just 5 short years ago. All in all, I agree with your comment above, I think most oil and filters can be pushed way past even the 5k mark. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True.

You are 100% correct in my book, the weak link if any is in the filter not the oil. HOWEVER, even the filters used today are of much better quality than filters just 5 short years ago. All in all, I agree with your comment above, I think most oil and filters can be pushed way past even the 5k mark. Just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DehydratedSurfer

Latest posts