GEN 2 Offroad owner impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad everyone finds this useful. So I got to the tire pressure today, every tire was different by +/- 5 psi hovering around 50 psi! So I immediately dropped all of them to 40 but ran out of time to read more on the tire. I will rerun the section and post again. This will make a measurable difference. Totally forgot that this thing was put together near sea level and I live at 7500' so those suckers were like rocks due to the altitude change. I think the dealer adjusted that on my previous trucks so I never really thought about it. Most of my driving is done above 5000'.

A few things I forgot last night:
The dead pedal is decent and left foot braking is easy back and forth from the dead pedal.
The steering wheel feels to chunky to me and the ratio is much slower than I would like. This is always a problem with road legal vehicles. Even the RZR got a quickener to keep up with the drift. It makes a huge difference. I have never put one on a truck but maybe this will be the first. It has the power and short enough wheelbase to really have some fun if the steering could keep up.

I need to learn how to do videos, kinda suck at all the tech.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad everyone finds this useful. So I got to the tire pressure today, every tire was different by +/- 5 psi hovering around 50 psi! So I immediately dropped all of them to 40 but ran out of time to read more on the tire. I will rerun the section and post again. This will make a measurable difference. Totally forgot that this thing was put together near sea level and I live at 7500' so those suckers were like rocks due to the altitude change. I think the dealer adjusted that on my previous trucks so I never really thought about it. Most of my driving is done above 5000'.

A few things I forgot last night:
The dead pedal is decent and left foot braking is easy back and forth from the dead pedal.
The steering wheel feels to chunky to me and the ratio is much slower than I would like. This is always a problem with road legal vehicles. Even the RZR got a quickener to keep up with the drift. It makes a huge difference. I have never put one on a truck but maybe this will be the first. It has the power and short enough wheelbase to really have some fun if the steering could keep up.

I need to learn how to do videos, kinda suck at all the tech.

That large a change in Tire pressure should make a noticeable difference. Look forward to your next review. Just turn the phone on the side and take video just like a camera picture. Then look at the icons most likely on the bottom of your phone screen to post videos. Android or I Phone process should be similar. Or just have a kid or grandkids do it. They know more than all of us anyway!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice review. Dropping the tires down from 50 psi will make a huge difference, post your thoughts after you run it again !

I recommend you try the truck in Baja or Sport mode and use the manual mode for shifting. You can keep revs down and help fuel range by running a gear or two high, and you gain much quicker throttle response over standard mode. It makes a huge difference over standard mode, that's meant for economy and easy commuting.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Define "stock"

To me "stock" is if she can look at the truck and not ask "where did you get that and what did it cost?" It's "stock". I do happen to keep my toys off premises so she doesn't see them very often. If she does I try the old "that's been there forever" and she usually rolls her eyes and moves on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should we seriously start a thread with a checklist to make sure everyone has the parts they are supposed to have? Ford's quality control is ******** the bed.

OP. Love the truck. It is hard to beat the super cabs!

sea2jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny. Great minds think alike. I keep my toys offsite also.

Define "stock"

To me "stock" is if she can look at the truck and not ask "where did you get that and what did it cost?" It's "stock". I do happen to keep my toys off premises so she doesn't see them very often. If she does I try the old "that's been there forever" and she usually rolls her eyes and moves on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should we seriously start a thread with a checklist to make sure everyone has the parts they are supposed to have? Ford's quality control is ******** the bed.

OP. Love the truck. It is hard to beat the super cabs!

I am kinda wondering, I went to the front of the truck and couldn't believe something so obvious was missing. Sales manager was an idiot and said it didn't come with skidplates because it was an 800A truck, had to show him the window sticker. Only caught the missing sub when I was about to leave and started to mess with the stereo and it didn't sound right.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am kinda wondering, I went to the front of the truck and couldn't believe something so obvious was missing. Sales manager was an idiot and said it didn't come with skidplates because it was an 800A truck, had to show him the window sticker. Only caught the missing sub when I was about to leave and started to mess with the stereo and it didn't sound right.

Some of the stuff slipping through Ford's QC blows my mind. Half the people working at dealerships can't usually tell you much more than what they read in the brochure.

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found what looks like two missing screws in the rubber trim that is at the back of the cab on the roof seam.

Drove my little test section again today at normal street pressure (38 psi) and the truck stayed planted much better. I will also run it at 28 psi which is my usual when driving most of the day on dirt with zero or smaller portions of pavement in between. I couldn't resist sport and baja mode anymore so I tested both of those as well. Power delivery is much better and this will be good for shorter sections of offroad where there is an opportunity to get after it but I am not sure it will be a good idea to run all day with the truck rev'd up to 3-6k. There is no such thing as too much power in sand sections[emoji3]If it can take it and I can manage at least 7-8 mpg it should make it the distance between our usual fuel stops and make me smile a lot. Lots of care is needed offroad as that little goat trail straight away can be 60+ and stopping doesn't happen near as fast as I would like. For example, I have never hit a deer in my entire life but tonight one jumped out in front of the truck just a couple seconds after my copilot said deer and got crushed under the front driver side tires. Fortunately it only bent the outer bumper piece which was easy to bend back by hand with a very small crease left on top where the metal was stretched. Real bumpers might come sooner than later. Fully broken in now with the first dent out of the way.