Odd surging when first started up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Justafordguy

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't talked to Ford yet, not even a week old so I'm just trying to get used to it. I'll probably give them a call about it next week but I bet they will have no idea.

AndyMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is your driveway?

I only ask because I recall on my last truck (08 f150) there was one time I was attempting to jump a vehicle that had sat for months and so I had tried to give it 1000rpm (basicallly trying to charge the dead battery with my alt and battery) and it would cut out in a short amount of time and so I had to hold the rpms higher than 1200rpm to get it to stay at the higher rpms longer but even then after a while I think it would cut out too but alot longer duration than it was at 1000rpm. I haven't run into a situation where I wanted/needed to give my raptor any additional steady throttle like that to know if its the same on this truck or not.

Just a thought that maybe its programed this way as a safety feature of some sort... If I get a chance I might just try to douplicate it on my raptor since it is a 12 as well. I could be way off on your situation though...

Last edited:

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2010 with 6.2 and it does something very similiar to this. When it sits overnight and then starts, RPMs jump up to between 1500 and 2000. Once it starts to warm, it comes down to the 500 to 900 range. The truck seems to surge a little bit if I start it and starting driving right away as well. Dealer has checked it out and says it's fine, "it's just a Raptor."

OP
OP
Justafordguy

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driveway is about 1/4 mile but it's gravel so I like to just go slow. I have to hold it at about 1000rpms to keep the thuck rolling.

I'm not super worried about it, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it. I'll get Ford to look at it next time it's there but it probably won't help because it only does it first start of the day.

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 11 does this even after sitting for just a few hours. It drives me nuts. I think it is more noticable in a raptor because of the low gears. Does not go away until it is totally warmed up. The first few times I keep thinking the floor mats where getting in the way. No, just the way the Raptor seems to work. I wonder if the five star tune will get ride of it.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My driveway is about 1/4 mile but it's gravel so I like to just go slow. I have to hold it at about 1000rpms to keep the thuck rolling.

I'm not super worried about it, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it. I'll get Ford to look at it next time it's there but it probably won't help because it only does it first start of the day.

yes mine will do the same thing I also have a 1/4 mile driveway and when I wash it in town and idle down it will do the same but it will go on idle do not have to push pedal. I have my truck set on quiet start thinking it would take less gas for idling and was thinking this is why when idling it tries to slow down try it in the not quiet mode in your instrument cluster. and see if it dose the same? It don't bother me but it would if it did it at a stand still.

OP
OP
Justafordguy

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of my accessories came in today so I'll be taking the truck in next week. They have to keep it for a few days so maybe they can catch it doing this surge thing first thing in the morning. I'll let you know what they say.